Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on the PL seaview, I plan to drill out 2 holes for the belly spotlights, I have noticed that the bottom part has 2 small circles just about where the spotlights should be, but the circles are on the INSIDE of the part. if anyone has built the seaview and made the 2 belly spotlights, is these circles the area that you drilled out ?

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,050 Posts
Bert,

The circles inside the part are merely ejector pin marks. The pins pushed the part out of the mold once the injection molding process was complete. Since the plastic was still warm and relatively soft, the pins left those little marks.

There would have been no intention by Aurora's (or Polar Light's) engineering staff to locate the injector pins so that they would serve as locators for the Seaview's keel lights. However, if they look like you could use them that way, then I say go ahead and drill 'em. Because the spotlights were pretty much flush mounted, I've represented mine with a couple small disks of 0.010" sheet styrene. Even disks of white decal film would probably serve.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John. I have see n a couple of PL seaviews with the bottom spotlights but couldn't see clearly enough in the picture were they were exactly located. these pin marks are space evenly and just about were the spotlights looked where they were. I was going to drill 2 tiny holes on each side of the sail cover the holes from the inside with navigation light color sheet plastic and light it from inside, but the 4 LED light setup i got from robiwon , i had planned for1 of those lights to go up inside the sail but it is to narrow inside there. I bought some very small model marine navigation reflectors that shine like lights when light hits them and they are the perfect scale. i am putting 1 LED each in the spotlights and 2 in the nose area, to light it somewhat. thanks again John for that information.
Bert

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Hello there Bert. I have 3mm LEDs as well, do you think one of those would fit in the tower? I can do you another set up if you want. Let me know.

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
One way you might want to do the sail lights is to drill the small holes through to the other side,then drill from the bottom of the sail up until you make a tee,use a large diameter fiber optic fiber with the end shaved like a V point,push up until it meets the top tee holes and then fill the small holes with clear epoxy.The fiber should disperse enough light to light the two little lense.Sounds complicated but it should work.Alexander

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
robiwon said:
Hello there Bert. I have 3mm LEDs as well, do you think one of those would fit in the tower? I can do you another set up if you want. Let me know.
Yes, i think they would. the 1 LEd i was going to use for the tower sail is just a tad too big to fit inside the opening at the bottom. I may be able to lay that LED side ways and cover the bottom of it with reflective foil and maybe the light will reflect up into the sail. i will try that in the morning and see if it will reflect enough. THANKS ROBIWON i will let you know.
Bert

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hello, I'm just starting to work on my polar lights seaview also. Now that i just found out about the moebius kit hopefully being released this year, i'm thinking i should maby hold off as i'm going to need the extra space :freak:

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
robiwon said:
ROBIWON, maybe all 4 LEDS could be 3mm on this next setup. The LEDS you made are great. nice and bright were those 5mm ? with the 9 volt battery the light from them is very bright. would 4 led setup with 3mm leds still work on a 9 volt battery, or is a 9 volt too much power ?
thanks,
Bert

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Hey there Bert, sorry, I was off line for a few days. Yes, I can do a set up with 3mm LEDs that can still use a 9v battery. The one I built for you were 5mm LEDs. I will start on a new set tonight. Let me know if you want any other changes. Oh, same price as before. ;)

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GREAT, thanks ROBIWON . maybe make the sail light wire on the end a tad longer. otherwise, it is perfect ! thanks.
bert

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
model maker said:
GREAT, thanks ROBIWON . maybe make the sail light wire on the end a tad longer. otherwise, it is perfect ! thanks.
bert
Robiwon, tried to PM you but your inbox says it is too full. e mail came back also (Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable) you must be knocked off line again.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
O.K. just cleaned out my mail box. I didn't think it was full, but.... O.K. slightly longer on the sail wire. I'm also gonna add a surprise for ya!

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
robiwon said:
O.K. just cleaned out my mail box. I didn't think it was full, but.... O.K. slightly longer on the sail wire. I'm also gonna add a surprise for ya!
Thanks Robiwon, that really makes my day. Yeah, me too, my inbox was full and i didn't even know it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts