Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok mower been working good untill now. i have to jump start it with portable jump starter ( i know battery is shoot) not sure if that could cuase this are not tho. But when i engage the mower deck it comes on and stops. i can rock my wieght back words while on it and get blades to start back up but this is a constiant thing to mow lol.. The modle tag is warn but best guess to what it is( sears craftsman 917.255917...)

It has a electricale clutch never had any dealing with this untill now.
From what i read its is basicly a magnet that pulls clutch in to start the blades and switches polarity to stop them when switch is set to disengage.

With my limlited knowledge on this to me seems like clutch is to far out of adjustment ( would explain why rocking back words would get them going again so i think).

not sure how to go about adjusting it are if thats even the problem. the clutch has 3 bolts with springs behind them and slots cut in metal close to each bolt to see undernieth outer housing.

sorry for the long post just tryign to give detials from what i seen and read so far

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well found out the problem seems like its a battery i can put a portable jump starter on it and leave it on and blades stay on take it off and blades stop

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
You just need a good battery. The electrical system on your engine does not have enough output to cover the surge the clutch needs to engage. Once the clutch is engaged the output from the engines alternator is sufficient to keep it engaged and charge the battery. Your engine likely has an after fire solenoid or a sam that needs power to operate and when you engage the clutch it draws too much on it's initial surge and causes the engine to die.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts