Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sears/Craftsman Hedge trimmer that won't start. I was trimming bushes when it just died, quit. I can pull on it all day and it will not even attempt to start. I checked the Ignition gap adjustment and set it at .011. I checked the plug to see if it was getting gas and the plug is wet. I checked for fire and it is firing both thru my tester and the plug end itself and it seem to be a bright spark. I checked the compression and it was 100-105. Yet I cannot get it to attempt to start. Even if the carburetor was not working it should fire when I squirt gas in the cylinder but it won't. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong. I sure would appreciate your help. Let me give you some specifics on the Trimmer. Sears/Craftsman Model # 368.796340, 25cc, 22 inch blade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had already checked the head bolts and tighten them. They were loose, however since I've tighten them it has run. I don't know what made it just stop and won't attempt to start now. Thank you for your reply. Do you have anymore ideas as to what this could be???

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The 100psi is kinda borderline, remove the muffler and look at the cylinder wall and piston to see if it has some bad scratches which would mean it has run lean or ingested something and is probably shot, try putting a teaspoon of oil in the spark plug hole to see if it will start. Have a good one. Geo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went out and took off the head cleaned it up real good. Put some oil on the moving parts, bearing under the piston shaft and put it all back together. Since it was dark and I was able to turn off the lights and observe the spark, I was able to see that the spark is very weak and sometimes non existent. So, it looks like I might have a bad coil even though I replaced it on 11 Oct 2015. What do you think.
Have a great evening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I have purchased me another Hedge Trimmer (battery operated) I'm going to wait to repair this one. But, if the coil will fix the problem I'll let you know. Thanks for the help. Have a great day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts