Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does anyone else like the design of this Sci Fi submarine? thinking about a large model of it in the future...........
William

S

·
0 Posts
I like it a lot.

I've been trying to find pictures of the damned thing to do a CGI model, but they're harder to find than, well, I can't think of anything that's harder to find than pics of the SeaQuest, actually.

Anyone know where I can get some good pics, especially diagrams.

-S.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm supose to be getting some color print plates for the Seaquest Dsv and other vehicles in a few days .This was some item they had made available before the show aired it has tech drawings of the side and top and i can get the rest of the views from those for a cad drawing....would be cool to make a five or six foot model for R/C well hope to get these soon...........
William

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
What about the model kit of the SeaQuest? I thought it had been derived from the original CGI model, or am I thinking B5?

In any event, should it not offer a good starting point for scaling up?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a squid ha ha John...... found out a little more about these prints ..they were made from the actual wireframes for the cgi models so they should be pretty darn accurate

William

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yay seaQuest! I remember watching the pilot episode, though it took me a while to figure out what the darn thing looks like. It wasn't until I bought a scale model that I got a good idea. I think I still have it somewhere...

Go for it William!

Leet

·
Registered
945 Posts
Boy I'm glad theres a few other people that liked something about seaQuest out there, I thought I was going to get lynched for mentioning it on the Movies For Modelers board, and yeah I'd like to see a lot more seaQuest stuff. A seaQuest DSV around the same size as my 3' Seaview would be great!!!!

[This message has been edited by dgtrekker (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great news!!! i received the mail today and it had the renderings of the DSV sub taken straight from the CGI model used in the series...i can see the differences in the monogram model compared to the cgi model ..they got it pretty close
, but the CGI has all window placement of all those little triangular windows on the hull of the vehicle
also the area next to the center launch bay(main sphere) doesn't have enough sculpture to it...........
i started the autocad drawing tonight from these renderings almost done have only the front and back left........

William

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello there,
Started the little triangular windows tonight as there are quite a few.... they alternate directions ya know.......first one faces point up second one fasces point down..... nice little bit of detail information for ya fans if ya didn't already know...well storm moving in have to go.....
William

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great to hear, William! How large a model are you looking toward building? A pity it couldn't be built to scale with your 7 foot Nautilus.

Leet

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WEll almost finished the windows quite a few of them...gonna get started on the front verses back then i supose i'll mold the monogram seaquest to get a solid casting to accurize and cut up into slices...size wise probabaly a four footer don't know yet.....gonna research specs first and come up with a scale...........William

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello all,
Well i did the research to come up with the scales. I have two i'm considering...one is 1/160 scale or "N" gauge..the other is 1/220 scale known as "Z" gauge. I worked out the length for both and at N scale the sub would be 75.5" long,or 6.3 feet. At Z scale the sub would be 55" long or 4.6 feet..so there ya have it...any thoughts

William

·
Registered
249 Posts
Probably for detail's sake, the 6.3' model would be best, though I can imagine how the 4.6 foot model would be better, in some cases. At any rate, both should be able to run as RC models. I guess it would come down to whether you would want to build a big or smaller model, depending on your schedule. :/

Leet

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmmm..........something to think about...however the 55 " SeaQuest would be easier for a desk top display and cheaper..
William

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I have many of the 3" Seaquest figures, the model kit. Seaquest is like 1000 plus feet right? Going by the movie / TV shows, is it longer than either Seaview or the Nautilus.....if these were REAL subs? Larry

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well......
I'm going with the specs stating the DSV is 1007 feet long and scaling from that...so yes, the DSV is much longer than the other subs.......by the way i'm going with the "Z" scale version of 55"...

William

1 - 20 of 67 Posts