Hobbyist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts
Discussion starter · #45 ·
Thruster details going on the model, three more sets to do.
Rectangle Carton Wood Mechanical puzzle Cardboard

The beginnings of the communications/sensor antenna, this could look familiar to Star Wars fans. This is a recreation of the kit part I used on the original model years ago.
Wood Nail Tool Font Metal

Antenna in place on roof, not glued on yet since I still have to make the dish that will go with this part.
Table Wood Rectangle Automotive design Architecture

Discussion starter · #47 · (Edited)
Can't get over how good the rocket nozzles look. đź‘Ť
Thanks, they were easier than I thought that they would be, drilled out the holes with a 3/32nd bit at the proper angles and glued short sections of 3/32nd evergreen tubing into the holes. After they dried I carefully trimmed them down almost flush and sanded them to blend it into the hull. I used a #11 blade to wallow out the ends of the tubes to give them a slightly conical shape inside.
If you meant the main engines, those took some time, there are over 320 parts in that assembly. I already had it in my mind what I wanted them to look like and I just kept cutting and added bits until it looked right to me. I imagined a mix of retro 1930's Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers style rocket engines blended with the X-Wing engines I used on the original model.

Wow, this is great stuff...... so you're not really building a replica of a shuttle from the BG 1978, just one that could of been in the fleet..... I really like your engines.... the astronaut look way better than the 2001 Moonbus astronauts...... even with the weird bubbles inside his helmet.... I think that 1/35 figurines from that show are available on the net..... Keep up the good work....

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Finally braved the closet of doom and found my original drawings I made of my original version of this model back in 1980. I had forgotten why I built this but the blueprints that this was with reminded me. I originally built this as a shuttle to go with my "updated" version of Space Station One from the Space Family Robinson comics. I really wish that I had dated these drawings to be sure of when I made them but I am fairly sure it was no later than 1980.
Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering

Looking at these drawings I think I came very close to capturing the look of the original that I built so many years ago. Apparently at the time I drew this I thought that rcs thrusters had to be on every single corner of the ship. While this was not based on any specific sci-fi show or movie I took design cues from both Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and the the Travel Pod from Star Trek The Motion Picture. In fact I think the Vulcan Shuttle from THP is the origin of my inspiration for the use of so many rcs thrusters.
Rectangle Schematic Slope Triangle Parallel

Looks great! Very practical design with plenty of detailing that sells it.

Cute little landing pads--all that's really needed and they're easy to stow away. I get a little turned off by all the CGI ships with the impossibly heavy and large landing gear. The Jupiter 2's landing gear was bad enough to try to rationalize actually fitting into the ship. A lot of the new ships are utterly impossible to.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Reminds me of some Hanna-Barbera cartoon spacecraft--kind of like something you might see in the 1980s update of Space Ghost. đź‘Ť
This has a vague resemblance to the Spindrift from Land Of the Giants. It has the forward crew compartment, three people instead of two people as in LOTG, an airlock area between the crew and passenger compartments and an aft engine section. Of course the same correlations could probably be made to many sci-fi spacecraft.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts