Hobbyist Forums banner

Scratch Built Alternative Factor

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Pygar 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Yes, the taper is sharper than the actual ship. I don't have a lathe or a proper workshop to make the proper contour (Plus I was trying to make it for less than $20 Cdn). I did my best with sheet styrene and such and was killing time between projects. The dome is a ball which I'll paint white eventually....once I've gotten all the joints smooth.

Consider it an AMT version and not a Polar Lights version. That's how I see it....Bob

#7 ·
It looks more like Space Mouse's Lunar Schooner - in fact, that's the first thing I thought when I first saw the episode 40ish years ago. Except I can't find any pics of Space Mouse AND his Lunar Schooner on the web (it was a comic in the early 60s).

#16 ·
If that is a symmetrical cone, you may find it easier to make it if you get a freeware called "shroudcalc" off the Net. I think it has a Java and a spreadsheet version... I like the spreadsheet version better, or did back when I had it. Just plug in the inside and outside diameters etc and it plots out the arc to cut. It is unit-independant so as long as all the measurements you put in are in the same units, the numbers you get are in the same. Oh, yeah, for an untruncated, pointy cone, the inside diameter is zero. Model rocketers use this in planning their rockets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.