Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

I'm looking at routing my own Scorpion track using Sintra for the track surface (the same stuff Brad Bowman, Wizzard and others use for their tracks) and stitching wire for the rail. It's going to be 4' X 16'. Does anyone have a scale drawing of a 6 lane Scorpion track with the radii of the corners? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Todd

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Another good track plan to look at Todd ,is the old Velocity Dome layout,it's a easy simple track design ,that would probably work good for your middle school kids.:thumbsup:
When BuckTrax were around building routed tracks years ago,it was one of their layouts
How are things going with your project.:wave:
Rick

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another good track plan to look at Todd ,is the old Velocity Dome layout,it's a easy simple track design ,that would probably work good for your middle school kids.:thumbsup:
When BuckTrax were around building routed tracks years ago,it was one of their layouts
How are things going with your project.:wave:
Rick
That is a sweet looking track Rick. Found a picture of it here:

You're making me have second thoughts on the Scorpion just when I thought I knew what I was doing! :freak:

As to the state of our track, so far we're still gathering supplies. I think I've found a local supply of stitching wire. I'll check it out tomorrow. They may even donate some, just have to see if it's the right size. Ted's getting the CNC up and running as we speak. We'll have to make a test track first and go from there. I'll keep you posted.

Todd

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frickin' fracken'!! Another good looking track. Stop it you guys are killing me! :confused: :freak: But honestly, thanks for sharing. Hadn't seen that one before.

Todd

Or, one I personally like - Dragon's Tail. I'm currently making something similar to this layout out of Tomy track and on longer table.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
As to the state of our track, so far we're still gathering supplies. I think I've found a local supply of stitching wire. I'll check it out tomorrow. They may even donate some, just have to see if it's the right size.
Todd
Todd,
If you can, can you tell me where you located stiching wire and how much it costs? I'm just curious.
I'm also going to guess magnets are attracted to it?

Thanks...Joe

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input guys. After playing around in Adobe Illustrator for a few evenings I was able to come up with two designs, a Scorpion and a Velocity Dome track. Thanks for that heads up Rick. Both are 4' X 16". 1.5 " lane spacing with a 1.75" gutter. I tried to squeeze a 6 lane track into this same space but it seems to get some pretty tight radius corners on the inside so I stuck with 4 lanes.

Has anyone raced on both and could offer a comparison? One (maybe both) will be sent off to the CNC router to make a school track.

Joe, I was in contact with http://stitchingwireproducts.com/ they have 0.020" or 0.017" wire for $2.00/lb and a 50 lb. minimum. That's about 7000 feet of wire. A local box maker offered to donate some to the school but they only had one width and it was 0.028". :freak: Too wide I think. Even 0.017" and 0.020" will have more magnetic force than plastic track.

Todd

Here they are:

·
Registered
864 Posts
that "pro" tracks are incredible. It must be so cool to race with the "tchac tchac tchac" noise of classic plastic tracks !

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Joe, I was in contact with http://stitchingwireproducts.com/ they have 0.020" or 0.017" wire for $2.00/lb and a 50 lb. minimum. That's about 7000 feet of wire. A local box maker offered to donate some to the school but they only had one width and it was 0.028". :freak: Too wide I think. Even 0.017" and 0.020" will have more magnetic force than plastic track.

Todd
That's pretty inexpensive if you can get the right size. Would it be possible to set the rail height lower to reduce the downforce?

Another thought. If you really wanted 6 lanes, would it be possible to squeeze the lanes in the curves? This would mean you could possibly keep the inside lane to a radius that is acceptable.

Joe

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. After playing around in Adobe Illustrator for a few evenings I was able to come up with two designs, a Scorpion and a Velocity Dome track. Thanks for that heads up Rick. Both are 4' X 16". 1.5 " lane spacing with a 1.75" gutter. I tried to squeeze a 6 lane track into this same space but it seems to get some pretty tight radius corners on the inside so I stuck with 4 lanes.

Has anyone raced on both and could offer a comparison? One (maybe both) will be sent off to the CNC router to make a school track.
I have raced on a six lane Scorp and the gutter lanes do have tight turns...
Hmmm, how about a re-do and make the outside lanes a wider radius and make the whole track wider...?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd love to but the limiting factor is the width of the Sintra. It comes in 4' x8' sheets... wait...just checked online and you can get 5' x 10' or 2m x 10' sheets (never could figure out these metric and imperial measurement combinations). Now the limiting factor is the CNC router, it only does up to 48" wide sheets. Anyone got a bigger CNC router in their garage in Calgary? :tongue:

Otherwise a bigger track would be great.

Todd

I have raced on a six lane Scorp and the gutter lanes do have tight turns...
Hmmm, how about a re-do and make the outside lanes a wider radius and make the whole track wider...?

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,708 Posts
Save a little more up and then get two 4x8 sheets and cut the track wider using the second sheet for part of it.

If you do it right you could have enough left over for either a small oval or a drag strip.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could do 'Doba but I think that if I'm going to go all out and make it bigger I'd get the 5' x 10' sheets of Sintra and find a bigger router. I'd have to price out how much it'd cost to route such a track but it's a lot less routing than a 1/32 track so probably would be a couple of hundred bucks.:cool:

Todd

Save a little more up and then get two 4x8 sheets and cut the track wider using the second sheet for part of it.

If you do it right you could have enough left over for either a small oval or a drag strip.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
6 lane Scorpion

OK so I took another look at the 6 lane Scorpion and the gutter lanes have a 4" radius on the tight corners. Not as tight as I thought it was going to be. Guess I ought to measure before spouting off about how tight things are. I'll really have to drive one to see what it's like I reckon.

Here's what I came up with:

Did I get the lane colours right? Is it red,white, blue, yellow, green, and orange from the outside in? I can see why you'd put up walls or fences between some of the corners that run inside one another. The red lane is just over 62' long. The orange lane is a tad over 58' long. Wow! What a difference. Is that comparable to other 6 lane Scorpions out there?

Cheers,

Todd

·
Registered
133 Posts
Todd

I'm thinking the 4' wide track has 4" radiused turns on the gutter lanes , what would be the radius be on a track 5' wide?
The track I just built has 4.5" radius turns on the outside of the hairpin (blue lane) and I have to drive the corner, not go flat out with srt's and g-plus cars, but the mag force is higher than the stitching wire or AFX rails with the rebar wire power rails.
If you increase the radius would that not mean the course could be run flat out or near to it?

Can you get Sintra in 4'x10' sheets? Then you could divide the track into 4' pieces and turn the pieces sideways to cut out on a 4' x 8' cnc in 4, 4' x 5' sections. 4 joints for a 5' x 16' track. If not then like 'doba said you could cut 1' off the long side and make a drag strip 20' long and still have the 5' wide track.

Cheers Ted

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts