Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to check out a flea market near home today. Only to find out it was closed. So I went yard saling. I got this:

If you have it loaded correctly, when you turn the knob in the center, the cars roll out one by one. Its from Pixar's Cars line (I swear I would never buy something from the Cars line...), but that doesn't matter, because:

About half of these cars were loose in a kiddy wading pool, but when I took the whole bundle up, she cut me a $5 deal for the whole package.

The oldsmobile is missing a tire, it's a High Speed, and the rest are either in very good condition or missing minor pieces (like the Mako Shark, which is missing its windscreen). Oh, and there's this guy:

Now, I went to check out a new place in town. I found out about it a month ago, but he wasn't open yet. I kept intending to go back and see if he had opened, and lucked out. It's a sort of pawn shop/trading post/antique store.

I really wish I had more cash.

He had old tin cars, cast iron cars, Star Trek and Star Wars toys (the original stuff, not this new re-pop stuff they've been coming out with). Wind-up tin trains, an antique pedal car, Hot Wheels, Ertl, an old Johnny Lightning race track set...and those are just the things I looked at that interested me.

I love this Austin Healy. Some of these will stay packaged, but a few I have plans for and they will be cracked open.

More after the break...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now for some of the coolest bits. Of course there were loose cars:

I've been needing a VW beetle for a custom project. Now I have one. And check out that greased gremlin. I'm certain it was from one of the first two release years. Hard to tell more than that in the condition it's in.

But how about these?

The yellow one is a Hot Wheels Construction Crane from '82. Paid 4 bucks for it. The other one is an old Lesney Matchbox from '65! Yeah, it's beat up, and the crane is busted, but I love it nonetheless. It's the oldest car in my collection now (beating out a Matchbox Tanker truck from the 70's).

One thing I had to leave behind (the only thing that I thought 'no, that's too pricey'), was a Hot Wheels Radio Flyer Wagon. I have one in blue, but Radio Flyers were red. Been looking for a red. He wanted $16 for it. But in talking to him about it, I found out he has 25,000+ Hot Wheels to go through and price out. Including a few more Radio Flyers he's certain he can price lower. I will be back. And often. It's so cool, and it's two minutes from my house! Score!!!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
My wife has these two. I am sure he will come down on the price

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the reason he says he's charging so much is because it's a rare color variation. I don't know about that, really. I just know I won't pay that much for it. I'll wait and see what else comes out.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
One thing I had to leave behind (the only thing that I thought 'no, that's too pricey'), was a Hot Wheels Radio Flyer Wagon. I have one in blue, but Radio Flyers were red. Been looking for a red. He wanted $16 for it. But in talking to him about it, I found out he has 25,000+ Hot Wheels to go through and price out. Including a few more Radio Flyers he's certain he can price lower. I will be back. And often. It's so cool, and it's two minutes from my house! Score!!!
$16?? Wow.. maybe I have been selling them too cheap, I usually get around $4 for them. There are two red ones, one has basic wheels and made in China, the other has 5spokes and made somewhere else.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I've had the red one for years and love seeing it on the shelf. Tolenmar, I just took a look on ebay and there are several of the red HW Radio Flyers listed for as little as 33 cents. You should check out the Bay...

:wave:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I picked these up for $1 and have a few of the xmas ones i got at wallys on clearance for .50 if ya want one.

Not sure what is so special about this one. It was only a buck

I just got them cause i already had the x-mas ones.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Southtexasdiecast has the version of that first edition '69 Charger Daytona with gold lace wheels listed for $150 in the card. Yours is listed for four, and the only difference is the wheels. You did good Tolenmar.

The Radio Flyer and Fast Lane shopping cart were made for eachother.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Cool finds. Watch those old Matchbox/Lesney cars and trucks though. Once you get a few, you will not want to even look at the new stuff. Tha stuff is cool , old and rare because it wasn't manufactured to be that way. It just happened.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Full Flaps: Cool, did not know that. Maybe he'll have more once he's started pricing them out. (of course, he might well know what he's got, too)

Z06: The old stuff is why I still hit flea markets and thrift stores. It's more fun going through the bins of beat up cars looking for an old gem than stacks of cards most days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts