Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting there ... slowly. Fairly happy so far. The good Mr. Gary Kerr helped me by answering a few of my questions and provided additional information beyond those questions! I want my model to reflect the original as it was at the time, not necessarily as to what remained visible after all the photo-chemical processing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I'm jumping the gun, but I started work on the neck lights and I really wanted to see what a couple of renders would look like from similar camera angles that can be found in Where No Man Has Gone Before. Obviously, the last one is just for the neck, not similar to anything ever shown on the show. I included it to show that I even put in the wire mesh for two windows on the neck, just like the real thing.

Of course, all done in Blender 3D.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nie work. I like how you captured the reflections of the studio lights on the bussard domes as if it were really sitting on a blue screen stage.
Thank you! I'll be toning it down a bit, but some of that will remain. My goal is not to make a realistic-looking space ship, but to resemble the 11 foot model used for filming.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would like to have done something more substantial today, but I have a BLISTERING headache.

I found something I have to correct. At the rear of the Engineering Hull during the first pilot, there are two rectangular windows with a round port BEHIND them, towards the shuttle bay. By the second pilot, that round port was in FRONT of the two rectangular windows.

I still have to work on the triangles under the saucer. After researching a bit, it doesn't seem like the "bumpers" were there yet. I guess that was just a Production detail.

I still need to add the lettering on the grey squares under the saucer section.

I think I will make the warp domes a little more deep red.

Of course, this is still very much a work-in-progress. Once I finish on cleaning up some of the details (like that round port aft Engineering) then I'll start on the textures. But that's going to have to wait until my head feels better.

Thank you for looking in.

All done in Blender 3D.

And I always did like that shot of the Enterprise coming over Delta Vega at the end of Where No Man Has Gone Before. This is a little closer and lighter, of course.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I still have to work on the triangles under the saucer. After researching a bit, it doesn't seem like the "bumpers" were there yet. I guess that was just a Production detail.
When I built my 1:1000 version I did quite a bit of research but it was inconclusive as to if the bumpers were there. I could not find any clear close up pictures of the triangle areas, those that I could find were grainy and had shadows that made is seem like maybe you could see a hint of them... I ended up going half way and sanded them down about half way.

The question I had was if they were part of the vacuformed plastic hull or not? There are closeups of those areas going back to the 80s and I don't see any seams around the bumps. If they are part of the vacuformed hull then they were always there. If they were attached later they did a really good job and they have stayed flush with the hull without cracking or warping for all these decades.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I built my 1:1000 version I did quite a bit of research but it was inconclusive as to if the bumpers were there. I could not find any clear close up pictures of the triangle areas, those that I could find were grainy and had shadows that made is seem like maybe you could see a hint of them... I ended up going half way and sanded them down about half way.

The question I had was if they were part of the vacuformed plastic hull or not? There are closeups of those areas going back to the 80s and I don't see any seams around the bumps. If they are part of the vacuformed hull then they were always there. If they were attached later they did a really good job and they have stayed flush with the hull without cracking or warping for all these decades.
They were not always there. You can see fairly plainly from The Cage that there were no "bumps". This is from filming for Where No Man Has Gone Before and I think it's about the clearest shot of the area that I've got. You can see the triangle (fairly light gray in this shot) but the base of the triangle is the same thickness as the rest, and no additional shadow, so I'm fairly certain that there are no bumps or raised ribs, or whatever they were called.

I'm fairly certain that the ribs (or bumps, or whatever) were added when they added the extra detail to the arms on the Engineering hull, for Production shooting when the series started. That's my best guess.

Thank you, MartyS! I love these kinds of questions.
Marvelous!
Thank you! I appreciate your encouragement, Trekkriffic!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One frame from one element of a test animation with my 2nd Pilot USS Enterprise. I'm moderately happy with how it is turning out. I may have to come up with a new method. I have a couple of ideas in mind.

All done in Blender 3D and Photoshop.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I corrected the rear lights on the Engineering hull. I've got both sides of the ship lit. These are all for fun.

I still have to work on the "triangles" on the underside of the saucer. Then I'll work on the textures.

Next week may be a little rough. There may be no more updates until the week after.

All done in Blender 3D.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts