Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No sugestions, but I have a follow up question. In post 12 you mentioned 'lit' windows. Is that still to come? In all the images that have followed, I can only see blacked out window openings and a couple of outlined openings that look to be the same color as the hull panels. :cheers2:
The outlined windows were that to which I was referring.

I have better images, but this will do for a quick note (above). There are four windows on the saucer section directly facing the camera. The inner two are dark. The outer two are outlines. There was exactly zero lighting on the original pilot USS Enterprise. Go figure. Datin delivered the model late into filming and most of it was filmed with the three foot model! All except the shot of the Enterprise entering the frame, and then we swing up and over the saucer to zoom into the bridge. That was the 11 foot model.

My goals have always been to duplicate the original models as best as I can. That being said, EVERYONE make some changes. I do not feel pressed to duplicate the port side's lack of detail. If you were to build a model for filming today, no matter how small, you could certainly create multiple access sites on a model in different locations so that you could hold any model on the side opposite from the camera and still be able to connect it for lighting and such. Back then, they drilled holes in the model and ran in cables.

The port side "arm" at the front of the Engineering section wasn't even BUILT on the 11 foot model!

In any case, I can always take this model and light it up, if I feel the need. But to really duplicate the sequences from The Cage (later renamed The Menagerie, then changed BACK to The Cage when the decided to use the original pilot as fodder for a two part episode) I want an "unlit" model.

Does that explain it a little better?

For contrast, here is what CBS did when they tried to replicate the model. It just doesn't look like the original.

CBS version:

And if you'll forgive the pun, the real McCoy.

Thank you for the question!

Very nice... just as good as any physical build I've seen so far.
Thank you! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Different material settings, different materials, different render settings ... and some of the registries and pennants.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I did something to the side image for fun last night. Same image with some desaturation, higher contrast, and simulated film grain.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It feels like a lot of work for only a little progress.

I do think I have pretty close to the final settings for my textures. The bridge is textured, all the rest are materials.

Ignore the neck, I'm still adjusting the colors and material settings. I'll have more control over the final result when I actually texture the thing. This shot is to imitate one of the publicity shots of the 11 foot model of the Enterprise after it was delivered by Datin's team. I'm starting to get fairly happy with it.

And another homage to yet another first pilot 11 foot Enterprise publicity shot. Not quite there, but getting closer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Getting there.

I still have to work on the Impulse Engines (obviously), the markings on the upper saucer, markings and lights on the back of the lower saucer, the signs on the bottom of the Engineering hull, and I think I still need to include the markings on the bottom of the Warp Engines, but I'll have to research that to be sure.

Thanks for looking in!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I KNEW there was something wrong when I was posting the last set of images. I was simply too tired last night and didn't notice the incorrect yellow marking on the rear of the BC deck. Sorry.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I know I'm not there yet, but getting closer by the hour! The signage is done, except for the numbers on the port side. That should be easy enough.

I still have to work on the Impulse Engines and the "lights" in back of the shuttle bay. But all the rest of the markings are done.

This is an imitation of the only shot done with the 11 foot model of the Enterprise in the first pilot that was reused in so many episodes, including the second pilot, The Corbomite Maneuver, Charlie X, and others. I haven't set the lighting, nor is anything other than the bridge textured yet, but this helps give me an idea if I'm on the right track. I think so.

Thanks for looking in!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm tired and I'm going to get some sleep. Later today, I'll duplicate the markings on the port side. I'll also thin those rear end-cap warp details. I think they are too wide.

Forgive the render from the aft port side. The only times we ever saw something even close to this angle were:

1) The three foot model at the end of The Cage.
2) The shot of the Enterprise as it fired on Lazarus' ship at the end of The Alternative Factor.

After I take care of those two minor details, I'll get started on the texturing.

Thanks for looking in and good night!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
This is really starting to come together. It looks better and better in each series of shots. Looks to be a real beauty when you're done. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Finished Modeling

This is really starting to come together. It looks better and better in each series of shots. Looks to be a real beauty when you're done. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
Thank you, Fozzie!

Modeling is done.

Now to move on to texturing.

All done in Blender 3D.

Thank you for looking in!

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I never really cared for the pilot version... until now. You're making her look just great. Late nights are paying off bigtime.
Also, I absolutely love that shot of her from the end of "Alternative Factor" from the port-side aft. It's such a rare sight, and it really is one of her best angles. Although IIRC the camera angle was a bit lower?

WOW!! just saw your latest update as I posted this!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I never really cared for the pilot version... until now. You're making her look just great. Late nights are paying off bigtime.
Also, I absolutely love that shot her from the end of "Alternative Factor" from the port-side aft. It's such a rare sight, and it really is one of her best angles. Although IIRC the camera angle was a bit lower?

WOW!! just saw your latest update as I posted this!
Thank you, whiskeyrat!

You are correct about the shot. Mine is only ... similar. It is much closer to the shot from the end of The Cage.

I appreciate your looking in and your encouraging words!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Did a little texturing on the Navigational Deflector / Main Sensor Dish (big dish in front of the Engineering hull) tonight. Last night I came up with my own version of a "glass" shader. It is being used on the bridge dome (upper planetary array), the lower saucer dome (lower planetary array), and the "lit" dome above the shuttle bay. Some may not be aware that the first pilot for Star Trek (The Cage) had no internal lighting at all for the models!

Some people who are paying attention have pointed out some things that I had on this model that technically didn't appear until later. I think I got most of them, but there may be more. If you spot something "wrong", please point it out to me.

I hope to accomplish a little more day-by-day.

Let me know what you think.

All done in Blender 3D.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Working on texturing a little. Neck and upper saucer.

All done in Blender 3D.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts