Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I bought my first LIpo Orion 2400 and had a guy at the track set up my ICE to charge it. While charging the pack puffed up and was unusable. The shop I bought it off of refunded my money no problem and I haveb ought another one. Now I am worried about charging it because the same thing might happen. Here are the settings I have now on my ICE.

Lipo 7.4V 2400 MAH
Chg Current 2.4A
Dchg Current 2.0A
Dchg Volt 2.8 V/C
Cut off Temp 90
Max Charge Capacity 90%

Now when I charged the other one the LIpo was set at 5000 MAH and the Chg current was set at 5.0. The Max charge Capacity was set at 110%. I looked at the guys chrger who set it and that was the same he was charging his at on his ICE. We all agreed the battery was the problem but I am worried about lighting this one up in my shop. I have a race with it on Sunday so I have to do something. Please tell me if these settings are ok or if I need to change them

Thanks alot.

Bob

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
Don't know that much about the Ice charger but from what I see, the charge @ 5 amps looks okay, it's a 7.4 volt pack so don't discharge below 6.0 volts. Maybe someone with an Ice will chime in here later on.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Those are the correct settings; I've used the same on my checkpoint charger.

Just make sure the voltage is not going over 8.44 on the display.

I'd recommend you get a lipo sack for a safety factor and pick up a temp sensor. If something goes wrong like appeared to with the Orion pack, the pack should heat up rapidly as it swells. The temp probe should shut the charger off.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are the correct settings; I've used the same on my checkpoint charger.

Just make sure the voltage is not going over 8.44 on the display.

I'd recommend you get a lipo sack for a safety factor and pick up a temp sensor. If something goes wrong like appeared to with the Orion pack, the pack should heat up rapidly as it swells. The temp probe should shut the charger off.
That was the strange part on the one that swelled, it was not hot or even warm. I was watching it to make sure things were ok. I looked down at it then looked out at the track, looked back down and it was swelled. I picked it up and disconnected it and it felt no different than when I put it on.

To charge at 5 amps I have to change the type of battery to a 5000MAH. Will this be ok?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used my Ice on my lipo this weekend. It went pretty well but when it got to 8.44 it did not shut off so I manually shut it off. Should I have just let it go until it got to 8.45 to see if it shut off? The battery did good each time I topped it off and during the races.

Should I top the battery off between each heat?

Thanks,

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
I used my Ice on my lipo this weekend. It went pretty well but when it got to 8.44 it did not shut off so I manually shut it off. Should I have just let it go until it got to 8.45 to see if it shut off? The battery did good each time I topped it off and during the races.

Should I top the battery off between each heat?

Thanks,
Not sure about the ICE but I would think all Lipo chargers work pretty much the same. When the battery starts to reach 8.44 volts, the charging rate (amps) should start backing off to maintain the 8.44. The amperage will get down to about .35 amps and then it should stop. This is how my LRP 3 works . Hope this helps. Should re-peak after each round. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
My ICE charger has never gone over 8.40. When it reacher 8.4 it changes from constant current to constant voltage and maintains 8.4 until amp load drops down to a trickle charge. It will be at 8.38 at tech.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I was not watching the amps. I hd the graph on the screen and was just watching for it to hit 8.44.

Thanks,

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a Checkpoint charger (same as Ice). How are you guys getting them to charge 8.44? I"ve never seen any of our West coast guys get them any higher than 8.2 without having a GFX? I guess I'm missing somthing. Ron

·
Registered
260 Posts
Part Time you may have a problem with that charger. I have 2 ICE chargers & 2 Checkpoint chargers (we run 4 to 5 cars weekly) and I have never had a battery go over 8.40. Then the charger starts at constant current then when it reaches top current, 8.44, it goes to constant voltage. When the battery is ready the unit shuts down. Usually stops at 8.40, when checked before a race it is usually about 8.38 to 8.40 If you are having problems there, you have a problem with the charger. Might need to have it looked at.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tried it again tonite

I put my batery on tontie and watched the voltage and amp. When it got close to 8.4 heard one beep then the amps started dropping. I figured this was the trickle mode. The amps got down to .98 but the voltage kept climbing slowly. I unplugged when it got to 8.5. Shouldn't it shut off before 8.5? The battery never got warm and it seemed to go into trickle ok but I thought it was suppsoed to shut itself off at around 8.4. Ahould I have just kept going to see what happens? I plan on using it Sunday to race.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Have you checked the voltage after charging? I have three chargers that read everything but the same or the actual voltages of the packs. They are all close to the exact same voltage according to the chargers but the meter shows a range of over a tenth difference. Check your actual voltage with a voltmeter after charging. Your charger may be reading higher than actual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed my ice charger was very unresponsive to the voltage changes and had huge swings while charging. I am parking it and will only use my GFXs until I find a different small charger for the track.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts