Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Yeah, thats nothing new. I've seen auctions asking $500.00 for a white JL Magma Camaro. The reason the price was so high, was because he saw an auction for a white HW redline Custom Camaro and thought his 1:43 Camaro would be worth a lot.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is true, but my how does someone get there hands on that many? Years of searching? I dont think so! It must be nice to work at Hobby Lobby and make all that extra money on Ebay!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Um, it was a 10 day listing and there are no bids, so isn't this at most "attempted scalping" at this point? :D I guess if there is a bid it upgrades to "scalping".

Aren't you a bit presumptuous as to how these were obtained? There are no Hobby Lobbys in CT, FYI. There are some Hobby Stores around but if they are moving that quantity of TJs I'd be very surprised indeed.

Yes, scalping does suck, but it's a hobbywide situation. Best course of action is just say no and move on.

Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
808 Posts
I don't get it?
It seems to me the only ones you can really call scalpers are store employees supplementing thier income or maybe somebody that doesn't collect.Otherwise anybody that finds it before you would be a scalper.Is there anybody here that has never traded,sold or bought from the secondary market?
I guess this would make all the independent website sellers and distributors scalpers of the highest order?
No offense but the scalper tirade always seems to come from jealousy and frustration.
Think about this,the last stranger that saw you find a good car probably thought you were a scalper. :D

In this case I don't see a store employee stockpiling that many before selling.Most likely somebody with a little too much pride in thier collection,or maybe somebody's wife said "enough!"...."But honey,no one will buy them,I tried" :lol:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great points guys and yes your right! It's just frustrating! I can't blame someone for haveing a heads up on making a buck! I would do it to. But when you live in a big metroplex and have many stores to shop at, you hope you can get lucky once in a while!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Just so you know, the seller, micyou3, is a HT member on the slot car board. I don't see what's wrong with his auction? Maybe he traded or bought cases of slot cars to get all those.

As others said, don't jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I feel your pain on the hunt. There are only so many stores in my area. And what isn't gobbled up before it hits the pegs is gobbled up by the "professional hunters" in the area. You know those guys, the ones who think it's their job to scoff up everything because they have the time and ambition to do it. I just do the best I can and I am happy with my collection, even though I am guilty of supporting some of the very things I hate through auction sites. Just the way it is.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Yes, he is on the slotcar board and is a nice guy to deal with...
He is probably just a slotcar nut thinning out his collection...
(What good is a car that just sits on a shelf anyway?) ;)
Scott

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I seen that actoin the other day. Wish I had the money for it. :(
I did find 3 WL slots on the selvs at one Hobby Lobby so there are some stores out there that don't have enployee scalping but I'd have to say if I work at a TRU or HL or any other place that sold Hot Wheels or JL's I'd buy all the good stuff too before it hit the selvs. Just not sure if I'd part with them though. I'd just be one happy camper with lots of hard to find stuff :D

It's fustrating, but can't blame them though, those places probably don't pay enough and selling the hard to find stuff on ebay and what not can help there income to make a living.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a book on the net! Scalping for dummies! I think i want on the other end this assault. Wow that was rough!!!! I believe thats the last time i bring up this subject.
On to the next post!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
midtown said:
I blame the HW VW bus, that seemed to start the scalping phenominon.

I agree with you 1000%.

Now a days,the guys around here buy up multiples of every new casting released,"just in case it's like the VW Bus" they tell me.

Mike

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
I feel your pain on the hunt. There are only so many stores in my area. And what isn't gobbled up before it hits the pegs is gobbled up by the "professional hunters" in the area. You know those guys, the ones who think it's their job to scoff up everything because they have the time and ambition to do it..

Mike, I've got to disagree with this ..... it's not that it's "their job" to scoff up everything they can find, it's how they choose to spend their time. Any one of us could do it if we wanted to, and there's nothing wrong with somebody hitting the stores before us and beating us to them .... the early bird gets the worm, snooze you lose, etc....

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Micyou is an upstanding dude! He's on my good traders list, probably at least a few times. :thumbsup:

I understand your frustration. Keep up the hunt! You'll score eventually.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
carnut2256 said:
Mike, I've got to disagree with this ..... it's not that it's "their job" to scoff up everything they can find, it's how they choose to spend their time. Any one of us could do it if we wanted to, and there's nothing wrong with somebody hitting the stores before us and beating us to them .... the early bird gets the worm, snooze you lose, etc....
You can disagree all you want, it's a free board. But IN MY OPINION anyone with kind of time usually is not the best person to trade with or help you out, because most are driven by greed and more greed. It takes alot of the fun out of hoping you'll find something cool in the store occassionally, and turns it into the pain being shared in this post.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
You can disagree all you want, it's a free board. But IN MY OPINION anyone with kind of time usually is not the best person to trade with or help you out, because most are driven by greed and more greed. It takes alot of the fun out of hoping you'll find something cool in the store occassionally, and turns it into the pain being shared in this post.
I agree with you on this point. This is the reason that I stopped collecting Hot Wheels. I couldn't visit the same store several times aday each and ever day. I never finished 2000 or 2001. And finally quit altogether.
The funny part was that I would run into these guys leaving the store or any store that sold HWs. Many times with boxes full of vehicles. Such as
17 THs that they would give me a "deal on", one for only $20.00 or a Blast Lane that I had been looking for months, they would sell to me for $5.00 each. You get the idea.
I had also been collecting JLs. But there were so few around that they didn't bother with them for a long time and they knew that myself and a couple of others were regular JL collectors. Then all of a sudden a couple of years ago when there weren't many new HWs around for a long period of time they started buying up all the JLs they could find anywhere. Then the cycle started over. They were willing to sell a single JL to me outside the store door or inside the store for $10.00 to $15.00 each and not a WL.
You get the picture.
I could go on and on with stories about these guys.
But it just gets me upset. I prefer to buy a lot of my JLs on-line, etc.
I refuse to support the "door-crashers" & "vultures".
Anyway, enough of this subject for now.

Cheers. Cobra

1 - 20 of 52 Posts