Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1/24 decals that I would like to reduce to 1/32, the question is what is the percentage that I have to use to do this? The scale qualc says 75% but I think 50% would make it 1/48 which is smaller than 1/32 Am I missing something? I have been known to do that,just ask my wife! Of course she doesn't know the answer either. Any help appreciated.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
All I can suggest is trial and error. Scan the decal, and then print out on regular paper adjusting the scale as you go until the new size works. Just remember what the percentage is when you get there. Also remember to switch it to photo quality paper when you actually print the decals.. What may work for one set may not work for the next, as I'm sure you know scale is primarily to define the chassis size. Tweaking of the reduction will be required but at least you'll have a good starting point for the next time.

·
Most Interesting Member
6,350 Posts
If you scale it down to 75%, the you are scaling it down 25% of what you have now.
Now being 100% of 24th scale, 75% of 24th scale might be 32nd scale or close.
As SCM stated, the absolute best way is trial and error.
Different decal brands of the same car seem to fit differently.
The numbers can give you a good ball park figure though.
24 and 32 are both divided by 8, so 3 8s make 24 and 4 make 32.
So, you can scale the decals down by 25% by setting a 75% final product.

Rich.... don't ask me how I did in algebra.

·
Part Time Painter/Racer
8,719 Posts
If you scale it down to 75%, the you are scaling it down 25% of what you have now.
Now being 100% of 24th scale, 75% of 24th scale might be 32nd scale or close.
As SCM stated, the absolute best way is trial and error.
Different decal brands of the same car seem to fit differently.
The numbers can give you a good ball park figure though.
24 and 32 are both divided by 8, so 3 8s make 24 and 4 make 32.
So, you can scale the decals down by 25% by setting a 75% final product.

Rich.... don't ask me how I did in algebra.
What'd he just say??? ... RM

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
How to scale

I used to work as a graphics designer and digital photography in the printing business. We scaled finish work this way.

Measure the final size you want to end with. Divide it by the original's size and you have the percentage you reduce it by. Always keep the same unit of measurement across the equation.

Original 5 inches.
New size wanted 2.5 inches.

2.5 divided by 5 equals .5 or 50%.

-Paul

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
A little easier

I didn't think about this last night, but if 1/24 = .0416 and 1/32 - .03125 then

.03125 divided by .0416 equals .751 or just a shade above 75% for the final size.

I usually will measure off each decal, fender, hood, etc just in case the smaller sized car body is not scaled the same as the larger one or is altered to fit a fixed wheel base and is made to appear correct. This happens more often in HO than 1/32. Hope this helps.

-Paul

·
Most Interesting Member
6,350 Posts
I didn't think about this last night, but if 1/24 = .0416 and 1/32 - .03125 then

.03125 divided by .0416 equals .751 or just a shade above 75% for the final size.

I usually will measure off each decal, fender, hood, etc just in case the smaller sized car body is not scaled the same as the larger one or is altered to fit a fixed wheel base and is made to appear correct. This happens more often in HO than 1/32. Hope this helps.

-Paul
Hey, that's what I was trying to say!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts