Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I opened up the hoodscoop by using an engraving cutter for the Dremel to rough up the front then switched to a cutting disk.
There is a raised area under the hood and once I made a deep enough cut it opened up right into it.
Then it was just a matter of shaping it w/ the cutter.

Check out that cut out steering wheel

He got a CB for his hot rod

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
SWEET! The tail light detail is dead on, now grab a sliver sharpe and highlight that drip rail and put the black strip round the windshild...you'll have a top notch looking car!

It already looks great, but you've got this one to the next level. The paint looks so smooth!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SWEET! The tail light detail is dead on, now grab a sliver sharpe and highlight that drip rail and put the black strip round the windshild...you'll have a top notch looking car!

It already looks great, but you've got this one to the next level. The paint looks so smooth!
That's Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Satin Nickel rattlecan paint, it the same brand I used on the Firebird 400. It's my first time using it and I really like it. It goes on in a fine spray so it's easy to use, it's not like the whole can is coming out at once. It drys quick too.

I detailed in the door handles and gas cap in silver and you can hardly make it out. I haven't got a silver Sharpie but will see how it works when I can. Little details like that go a long way when you just work w/ rattlecan paint and whatever details you can come up with.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Smooth lookin ride there jitte, and the antenae is a real nice touch.

As for the drip rails and window trim might I suggest some Bare Metal Foil. Alot easier to work with than most people think.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smooth lookin ride there jitte, and the antenae is a real nice touch.

As for the drip rails and window trim might I suggest some Bare Metal Foil. Alot easier to work with than most people think.
How do you do the thing w/ aluminum foil? I can see the little edge around the window. Do you pry the car apart to loosen the windshield, push a strip between the post and plastic then bend it back up over? I used some Superglue to fasten the chassis tight against the bumper and don't know if I'll be able to get it loose.

·
Registered
639 Posts
How do you do the thing w/ aluminum foil? I can see the little edge around the window. Do you pry the car apart to loosen the windshield, push a strip between the post and plastic then bend it back up over? I used some Superglue to fasten the chassis tight against the bumper and don't know if I'll be able to get it loose.
It is alot easier to work with whilst the car is apart. The drip rails on the side would be no problem along with the door handles and other what nots, but the glass would have to be removed to effectively do the trim around the front and rear windows. I just finished Brutus earlier so I'll get to work on a BMF tutorial in the next day or two.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
That is really cool. I'm digging the cut out hood scoop. I wanted to try that myself a couple of time but scared myself out of it.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is really cool. I'm digging the cut out hood scoop. I wanted to try that myself a couple of time but scared myself out of it.
I know the feeling. :p

The front of the scoop is flat and even w/ the hood so it's an easy one to do. What makes up the scoop is a hollow place inside. I was going to drill a hole from the front but was afraid of messing it up if the bit didn't start right or bite in.

The engraving cutter is tiny and I made a few pilot holes to rough it up so the brown cutoff wheel would bite in and not fly off the front and across the hood. It worked that I got through it just as the wheel went deep enough the reach the sides of the scoop. Then I took the cutter and finished it up.

I used the same tool to start holes in the Firebird 400 hood scoops and then drilled on through. It's a Dremel brand accessory but the shaft is too thin for my Dremel to close tight around it, so I had to wrap it in painters tape. Same w/ some of the smaller drill bits.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I know the feeling. :p

I used the same tool to start holes in the Firebird 400 hood scoops and then drilled on through. It's a Dremel brand accessory but the shaft is too thin for my Dremel to close tight around it, so I had to wrap it in painters tape. Same w/ some of the smaller drill bits.
Walmart sells the collet kit for dremels.. I believe it's under $10.00 and will allow the use of the smaller shafted dremel tools and small drill bits. There are 5 collets in the kit ranging from about 1/32 to the maximum size a dremel will take. I would also highly recommend getting the flexible extension shaft for your dremel. It's so much easier holding the extension for fine work than it is trying to work with a bit directly in your dremel.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks. I remember seeing the collet kit now and will have to look for the flexible extension shaft, I don't think I've seen those.

I saw some Bare Metal Foil today at the hobby store. I had never heard of it before it was mentioned here and originally thought you guys talking about using tin foil.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I saw some Bare Metal Foil today at the hobby store. I had never heard of it before it was mentioned here and originally thought you guys talking about using tin foil.
Thats the stuff. Though I have heard of people using tin foil, at this scale I would advise against it. BMF is far thinner, more realistic and easier to work with than standard tin foil. I'm working on a step by step tutorial right now and hopefully should have it done later in the day.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Nice job. It's cool how a couple little details like the open scoop and an antenna can bring a model to life.

·
Registered
639 Posts
We have been authorized to use Bare-Metal Foils Tutorial (Their creation) it is on www.hotworldcustoms.com

It is in the ADVANCED section. If that helps.
Authorized. That sounds so official. If it's al right with you I would still like to my own. Mine is more geared to the 64th modder and a bit more simplified and less intimidating....and did I mention bigger pics as well :) or am I in copyright violation :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts