Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Very nice. I remember this was my favorite dino kit when I was a kid. Of course I didn't paint mine, I was only.....never mind!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Very nice, love how you did the mottled look, and that is one sharp base. I actually opened one these yesterday but put it back on the stack (too many kits started already)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Reminds me about the one I've done many years ago,although my paint job was simpler.Great variety of details and nuances of colors in the paint job.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, It's great that you get the "nuances" of the paint job. I appreciate that.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Hiya Rich! :wave:

You better feed that thing.....it looks a bit hungry and p___ off!

Very nice work!

Are ya gonna cage it and hual it to Sci-Fan this year? I imagin that you will have several builds to enter.

Cool Dino!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Troy, I doubt that it will be at SciFan. I need to do BETTER than that to keep up with you guys!

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Excellent job Rich. Great scales etc., very realistic. I have one of those in my to-do pile, I think I'll burn it since I saw yours !!! :(
Dabbler

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Dude! If I remember correctly last year you walked away with a 1st place and a 2nd or 3rd .....don't give me that feldercarb! :p

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Troy, everyone knows your memory is all messed up!!!:freak:
Dabbler, Don't you dare!!! Any questions or advice I can give, I'll be more than happy to share. The "mottled" look on the base was done with some sponges dipped in 3 different colors. The wash to detail the base and scales was done with future and some black paint.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Robot
1st: John Davis
2nd: Preston Kabinoff
3rd: Gill Gilliland

Star Trek Spacecraft
1st: Chris Doll
2nd: John Morel
3rd: Justin Sewall

Movie/TV Spacecraft (Not Star Wars or Star Trek)
1st: Troy Enlow
2nd: Chris Doll
3rd: Michael Wojak

Figure
1st: Steve Sturgis
2nd: Janine Bennett
3rd: Rich Danison
3rd: Terry Moore

1:1 (Full Scale)
1st: William Lawrence
1st: John Davis
2nd: Mike Schuessler
3rd: Aaren Larsen

Japanese Robot/Mech Gundam
1st: Rich Danison
2nd: Brian Oakley
3rd: Doug Packard

Star Wars Spacecraft
1st: Coby Lorang
2nd: Rich Danison
3rd: Jeff Skagen

Other Spacecraft & Real Space
1st: Chris Doll
2nd: Dave Holmes
3rd: Michael McGuire
3rd: Steve Holmes

Ground Vehicle
1st: Preston Kabinoff
2nd: Earl Simons
3rd: Dave Holmes

Diorama
1st: Les Knerr
2nd: Brian Oakley
3rd: Gill Gilliland

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
very very nicely done. i love the paintwork on the body and head. (personally id have gone with a little more color on the fin, but thats a matter of taste and doesnt reflect upon or diminish the effect of your piece)

does anyone know if theres another, more realistic, sculpt of this dinosaur available as a kit? (this ones better than the old pyro re-issues, but maybe kaiyodo or someone has done one?)

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Razor, the sail is a hybrid of the design found on a sailfish. I just added more dots. I felt if there were more color up there , the eye would be pulled away from the body. Like you said, a matter of taste, I've done the vibrant ones, just tried a more toned down one this time. Thank you for the compliments.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
VERY nice! I have one of these in a to do pile as well. Love the nameplate too. Nice touch. I will have to check out your other stuff as well!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts