Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Griffworks said:
And I'll maintain, once again, that out of all the ERTL Refits I built I never once reinforced the pylons and never had one sag. I've got one that's been built up for nearly a decade now and it's still at the correct angle from the day I put it there. The only thing I did differently than most folks is that I used CA instead of standard "welding" glues that tend to melt the styrene to form a new bond. CA doesn't melt the plastic.
Yep Griff, I had the same experience with my 3 AMT refits. 15 years on and nothing that strikes me as a problem (just looking at them now with a straight edge in hand). Is there 10 thou here and there of creep? Well, I certainly cannot notice it, honestly. The PL refit has substantial pylons, the drives aren't all that heavy in relation. I don't see much reason to worry if assembled correctly, with correct materials, following the instructions.

An armature has one useful role in my view - to help get the damned things lined up and square in the first place, but even then I have my doubts given the tolerances of welded metal parts interfacing with plastic components. Still room for error. I'll use my eye thanks very much.

If fitting an armature makes one sleep easier at night though, I can understand that viewpoint. It certainly takes away any shadow of doubt the thing should be in one piece in years to come. Enjoy..

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Griffworks said:
Interesting that you say it's destined to "sage", John. I've built up more than half a dozen of the old ERTL Refit kits and not a one of them ever showed a sign of sag.
10 pounds of $#!\ in a 5 pound bag... It's really evident on TOS Ertl kit, but the Refits will do it. I think Thomas' design offers the most potential for resisting it but then again maybe they wouldn't sag if I didn't try and fly mine around the room all the time...

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only time that I've noticed any sagging is the ST 6 model. The one where they cut a notch in the tabs for the wires. The ST 1 through 5 models if I didn't put a huge amount of glue on it were fine...until I flew it around my room, back yard, etc....

21 - 23 of 23 Posts