Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oval Racing is in an uproar and it saddens my heart.
We are a select group of Racers who choose to race Tenth Scale Race Cars. We enjoy going around in circles on all kinds of different surfaces. Most of us have been doing it for a LOT of years. Average tenure I would guess is over 10 years , with a majority at +15-20 years.
We come together at race tracks to race, compete, have fun and enjoy time with our Buddies.
For me the comraderie with my fellow Racers is the highlight of the day. Yes I like to compete and win... thats a given. But the freindships I have will always be there. Until Now
Hobbytalk over the last 60 days has become a hotbed of frustration, arguments, he said , I said , and down right threats to each other.

I'm even guilty of getting sucked into an internet cage fight myself. A very close Racer friend who I have raced with for over 20 years. We did'nt agree with the type or compound of tire that should be run at a track. (cap tires).
We argued and fought about it on open forum for 3 days. It got down right Nasty. This coming from 2 guys who have been friends for over 20 years.
I realized how caught up I got into the argument when I was hitting the refresh button every 30 seconds so I could see what he typed to my threat or smart azz remark so I could reply back with my own smart azz remark. Ever done that?? Why did'nt I pick up the phone and call him? why did'nt I just go over to his house and talk about it. (lives 7 miles from me)
I regret not talking to him about it in person. We talk now but its not the same. We can never take back what we typed on here.

The internet has done a lot for Oval racing Good and Bad.
Its brought us together and its pulled us apart.
It saddens my heart to see all the frustration and fighting thats rampant on here. Thats the ugly side of the Hobby that I will not participate in anymore.
I hope other Racers will take the same approach.

Wade Lichtenberg
229-244-5581

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Its also funny how we all can get all wrapped up on something and with in a year , weeks or even days later it was all for something nothing worth fightn' about,, tracks,ego's, cars, esc,wins, all come and go,,, true loyal friendships are hard to come by.

BIGDON

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
There is a lot to be said for just staying local, doing your own thing and eating plenty of BRATS! We have a good group and I aim to keep it that way.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Truthfully spoken Wade... totally agree with you. Actually this isn't just an oval thing or even an RC thing... it's a people thing. We can be downright mean and nasty when we want to.

The one thing that most guys will say about this hobby isn't the racing it's the friends they make at the tracks. Some of those friendships even go across state lines. TOUR is great but it's not a set of rules that is needed to unify us it's a common respect for one another and an effort on all of our parts to "Love our neighbor as ourself". That would do more for the fun factor than anything rules could ever do.

Great Post!:thumbsup:
Bill

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
Yea this r/c thing was a lot bigger when it was more of a family thing. Look at tthe back in the day video Boylan did on the thunder site.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well said WL! This RC thing was alot better years ago when people did it for fun. Its not the RC its the people. They seem ready to say anything to prove they're right. And its easy to be nasty when you're sitting behind a keyboard. You'll say things that you probably wouldn't in person. Lets all strive to agree to disagree & not let our emotions take over.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Very well said Wade! It is funny how lambs become lions when there is no face to face confrontation. Remember that for every person that posts a comment here there are many more who never post on HT, that are influenced by whats being said weather it be right, wrong or indifferent.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
i'm glad i don't have any of those issues mentioned!:rolleyes:

ok ok maybe one or two

only when off my meds

:p

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
There is a lot to be said for just staying local, doing your own thing and eating plenty of BRATS! We have a good group and I aim to keep it that way.
EC, I think as this whole mamba thing and 1S growing pains start to subside,alot of guys will take a step back,and feel the same way.
:thumbsup: to you.

Wade,You and your friend will get worked out,there's a ton of guys on here
wound rite tight with all thats going on.It will all work itself out.......

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well said wade...
I love to race.. I love to win.. but take away the cool group of guys I race with.. and it just takes the fun out of the whole thing...

the manufactures are always battling for our dollar.. it has always been that way.. and we as races have always played in to it.. Thats just the way it is..
Let the manufactures do the fighting.. go racing with your Friends and have fun..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well put wade. and I want to thank you for all the help you have given me over the last couple of years. People like you make this worth the money and the head ack. I will always be happier losing to good group of people than having the fastest car in my back yard. lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts