Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I am working on the S.S. Valiant, Recorder Beacon, as seen in TOS ST Where No Man Has Gone Before. This is from http://www.minimodelmadness.com/store/ .

When I saw this model previewed, I knew I wanted to put a light in it.
I started by looking at the different premade flashers I had.
I found this with a red LED, from a Joint medicine box. It was in the box as seen here, with two AA batteries.
I changed the red LED, with a clear yellow LED. The flash rate was real close to the episode.

I then planned to have the flasher unit, inside the model. The batteries would be in the base.
I wanted the wire from inside the model, to the base to be hidden. So I used my Dremel to make a trench for the wire. I used a
telephone wire, from a retractable phone line, from the dollar store.

I then puttied the trench, and check with paint, that all was good.

I then layed out for the legs, on the bottom. Through the center hole, I ran the wire, then glued all three legs in place.

Next as a test, I painted the clear dome with Turn Signal Amber, then put the LED in place, to see how it looked. It looked good, so no more Amber paint.

I Hope you enjoy it, and give me your comments.

PS Any bad comments, and I will ban you! ;)

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John, and 4MM! :)

Yes,I am going to make a Transporter base, but I won't light it.

Four Mad Men said:
Now where can I get one of these? :D
PM me and I will let you know of this guy, who knows this guy, who knows this guy...... :jest:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
That looks like it's going to be really cool Lloyd :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, Scott!

I got more done. I wanted to add some details, that I noticed on the screen grab. So I cut out two pieces , and four rods.

Here are two test shot on what I have, for the add on.

Got to clean the pieces, and glue them on.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the finished recorder marker. When I primed it, I liked the color, so I clear coated it. I put the decals I made on. For the weathering, I found a bottle of Model Master thinned to use in an airbrush. The label is missing, so I don't know the color. It is acrylic. I bushed it on, and let it dry. Over coated with matte.

Now working on the base.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Nice battered finish! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again, Scott! And thank you, Dr Brad.

The weathering came out way better, than I thought I could do. The base has been a challange, but I have it figured out. I need room for the batteries, for the flashing light.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Lloyd Collins said:
Thanks again, Scott! And thank you, Dr Brad.

The weathering came out way better, than I thought I could do. The base has been a challange, but I have it figured out. I need room for the batteries, for the flashing light.
I'm not sure on the size of this Lloyd, but I found a peanutbutter jar lid spray painted black made a spiffy round base for my Wilco Pod, and will easily hold a double AA battery pack underneath.

R

·
0 Posts
That's excellent, the battered look really sells that one !

Outstanding job there Lloyd. Wouldn't mind one o' the wee beasties meself :)

Go easy.

·
Starship Class
11,869 Posts
It's your model placed in the transporter room from WNMHGB. Looks great--a testament to the job you did. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts