Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if somebody makes routed track for HO scale that has stainless steel rails? The reason i ask is because i would like to set up another track in my garage and it is far from dry in there and I wouldn't want to see a new track get destroyed. Maybe there is a drawback to using stainless as rail material that I am not aware of, but i haven't seen any brands listed with this material.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
hey gearhead just my 2cents use ss only if you can find it thin likeclick together track thin. do not use fishtape!!!! ss has a strong memory and will snap the mdf that you routed. maybe look back at some previous posts. you may find your answer. best of luck. the reward is waitin for ya.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Does anyone know if somebody makes routed track for HO scale that has stainless steel rails? The reason i ask is because i would like to set up another track in my garage and it is far from dry in there and I wouldn't want to see a new track get destroyed. Maybe there is a drawback to using stainless as rail material that I am not aware of, but i haven't seen any brands listed with this material.

You may want to rethink this. Lots of the original Maxtrax had 300 series S.S. rail (the magnetic kind). They are famouse for not carrying electricity well. They need lots of jumpers and are VERY dificult to set up shoes on unles perfectly maintained.

I would stay with mild steel rails and try to keep it well tended. As long as it does rain on the thing, you should ber fine.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your input. I thought it was too good to be true or everyone would be making tracks with stainless. Now, to make room and begin the search. Oh yeah, I still need to find someone to race with too. :freak:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts