Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked it up today at my LHS.

Nice to have one of these again, as I accidentally burned my original to the ground with a sparkler when I was 6.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I remember getting this for Christmas from my teen-aged brother. I don't remember how old I was, but I do remember being able to see through the wrapping paper well enough to figure out what it was before Christmas day! :)

I also remember how much I loved the little shuttle ship...

Fond memories like this are why I have one on pre-order from Cultman. Can't wait to get it!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
More to the point, was the "neck" of the ship restored or is the front of the ship separate from the rear?

Were the original Lief Ericson engines included in this release? I'm still 6 -8 weeks away from seeing them in local stores here!!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I have the new one that Round 2 shipped last week, and the original almost square small box UFO mystery ship from the '70s. Both kits look identical. The neck separates about 1 3/8 in from the main body. No chrome or clear parts, but the bug shuttle does have the landing pads and it looks like the engine inserts are included, but in the glow plastic. It has a large very complete set of really cool decals! that includes battle damage, an interior to the shuttle bay, exterior detail, and pirate markings.

The shuttle bay is 2 5/8 x 1 7/8. Everything is identical to the small box IPUFOMS as expected. No record :cry:, but it does have a long story on the back of the instructions. If anyone wants I can post photos of the old and the new side by side.

Mark

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
. . . The neck separates about 1 3/8 in from the main body. No chrome or clear parts, but the bug shuttle does have the landing pads and it looks like the engine inserts are included, but in the glow plastic. It has a large very complete set of really cool decals! that includes battle damage, an interior to the shuttle bay, exterior detail, and pirate markings.
Damn. I was hoping against hope that the upper and lower hull halves would be single pieces, as in the original Leif Ericson and the first, large-box Interplanetary UFO issue. I suppose restoring the mold would have involved back-engineering and been prohibitively expensive. Well, I guess the extra goodies make up for the inconvenience of the "split" tooling.
Everything is identical to the small box IPUFOMS as expected. No record :cry: . . .
No problem!
http://frank.bol.ucla.edu/LE/SoundsOfSpace.mp3

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mach7, thanks for the info! Appreciate you confirming the parts break down!

I have the original release of the IUFOMS; recently a friend of mine made his build up of his small box version available for me to look at (I didn't even know he had one!) so I was curious about that. There is a definitely different look between the 2 versions, at least to me.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
The complete dimensions of the shuttle bay are:

2cm X 6.5cm X 4.4cm

The height of the bay rises to 2.3cm in the middle.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Oh yeah, thanks for the shot of those decals. Dang, I could have saved the time it took to make elevator markings.

Without using the kit landing gear, the depth of the shuttlebay could be almost halved and still fit all the different shuttles with room at the fore, or aft, to replicate doors suggesting an even larger bay.

Never knew Gagarin was a viking.

And the markings at the end of "United States"...

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Nice decal sheet. I like the shuttle bay decals. Now to buy the model. This will make 3 different sized models. Of the 3 Cozmo's and this one are my favorites.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
This and the TOS Cylon Base Star were some of my favorite pool toys of all time.:thumbsup:
With a little reworking, the basic shape would make a cool-looking submarine.

Love the new decals. Those shark mouths -- shades of World War II aircraft. And the "alien" writing under the skull-and-crossbones -- does it say something dirty in Klingon?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Interesting that it look like the battle-damaged markings included seem to indicate a captured ship - by pirates, perhaps???? Definitely has my interest piqued! Looking forward to this one!

1 - 20 of 337 Posts