Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
At WF, R2 announced the Cadet (1/2500) KTinga and Reliant as 2013 'definites'. Which, for me, eliminates three of those five models on the list.

Getting KTinga and Reliant next year, do we need them in two scales for the same year? And getting three new Cadet ships (Refit is being newly tooled), nixes the Akira for me.

Next, Iron Giant. While a watchable story as I recall, it does go back to a single film nearly 20yrs ago for probably the only kit that could be made from that license. Certainly a nice one-off, but what else is on the list?

That leaves Galileo as the only choice for me. Why?

There are two kits left in the original AMT Trek line for a re-release, Galileo and Bridge. They both need major work.

While budgets may be tight, my feeling is that these two AMT kits have been queued up for 'decades' and should have unquestioned seniority, not thrown against entirely new tools for entirely new ships in new scales.

I for one certainly would like to knock of those original AMT kits sooner than later.

(Wish I could go back into that first post and add our own poll!)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for the heads up MM.

As much as I'd like to see a 1k Reliant or K'tinga, the Galileo is screaming to get remade into something presentable. My fingers remain firmly crossed.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I voted Galileo for same reasons and suggested a more accurate TOS Bridge for the future. But I did request more accurate versions of both ... hence more tooling if possible.

·
Curmudgeon
6,600 Posts
I voted Galileo as well. I'd personally prefer something a little smaller than 1/32 scale, but I realize I'm in the minority.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Gal and Bridge are 1/35? Regardless, maintaining whatever that scale is, is the way (I think) to go and opens more possibilities for that size.

Fact: Gal needs an entirely new sculpt. The Bridge may not though. So, whatever scale the Bridge is, conform new Gal to that to save on retooling the Bridge to match Gal later. But if the Bridge needs a new tool anyway, then a new scale is warranted.

I'd like R2 to codify their Trek lines into distinct scales.
For me it would be:
1/2500 Cadet
1/1000 'Main Fleet' for all screen-seen ships
1/650 OR 1/537 (I like 1/537) For 'Name Ships'.
1/350 Big Boys -Special Releases
1/35 Diorama
1/8th Figures

Why retool the 1/650 1701, D-7, BoP when you could make new TOS in 1/537 to go with the Refit and Reliant? It would put Revell's TOS to shame.

Repop and drop the oddball Cutaway 1701...

Drop an accurate K-7 in the 1/1000...

Repop and force Voyager into 1/537. A 1/537 Excelsior would be a beauty that I'd take over a 1/350. But I'd love a 1/350 Reliant, KTinga and D-7. (AW Studios already has a good 1/350 RBoP)

And in the 1/35 scale, I'd like to see them expand into all the TOS sets and a 'Bridge Series' of some major ships would be cool. Who wouldn't like a Transporter, Engineering, or Sickybay in 1/35? Sweeet!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
New Galileo for me.

the GK market can handle those other 1K scale subject very well, and have done so already.

Give me a nice sized, accurate shuttle

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd like R2 to codify their Trek lines into distinct scales.
For me it would be:
1/2500 Cadet
1/1000 'Main Fleet' for all screen-seen ships
1/650 OR 1/537 (I like 1/537) For 'Name Ships'.
1/350 Big Boys -Special Releases
1/35 Diorama
1/8th Figures
Awesome, I made the same suggestion about codifying their Trek lines into distinct scales. However, I suggested three: 1:350, 1:1000, and 1:2500. I had not thought of the Galileo or the Runabout, though, so I would definitely add 1:35 to that list. I'm not interested in figures, though, and as far as I'm concerned the 1:537 scale can burn in the vault of eternal destitution. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, thanks for the info Tom. I voted Gal too. Something I'd really like to see R2 do is reissue the 1701-D in regular (non-clear) plastic. Of course, include the aztec decals like they did with the clear version.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I voted for the 1:1000 K'Tinga, although I'd love to see the Reliant or the Iron Giant. I had a hard time choosing between Reliant and Ktinga, but my gut feeling is that given the choice between those to models, the majority would pick the Reliant. So I went with the underdog. :)

MM makes a great point about R2 already releasing Reliant and K'Tinga next year, so I can understand the desire to have something different. For me, though, I'm not interested in the 1:2500 scale ships as I prefer models with more detail. In all honesty, given the choices, I'd be happy with any of those, with the one exception being the 1:1000 scale Akira. I simply have NO interest in that ship (and it wouldn't be to scale with any other TNG ships!)

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...I'd be happy with any of those, with the one exception being the 1:1000 scale Akira. I simply have NO interest in that ship (and it wouldn't be to scale with any other TNG ships!)
Akira is 1/2500, the Cadet series, so it's in line with 1701 C, D, E and the DS9 Defiant later this year.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Voted for the 1/32 Galileo. Also suggested a few things including:

a) New-tool TOS bridge and other sets on the show (i.e. sick-bay, engineering, etc.).

b) New-tool TOS Enterprise sized somewhere between the 18" and 1/350 Big E (around 22"-24").

c) 1/350 K'tinga.

d) Re-issue the Disney Haunted Mansion/Pirates kits.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I have an AMT shuttlecraft model in my stash, and I'd need to do a LOT of work to accurize it. I'd love to do a straight build for a change...

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have an AMT shuttlecraft model in my stash, and I'd need to do a LOT of work to accurize it. I'd love to do a straight build for a change...
You do a 'straight' build Chris? Don't make me LOL! It ain't in your nature mate.

I too voted for a decent Galileo in 1:32.

hal9001-

1 - 20 of 74 Posts