Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like Round 2 info is scattered all over the place, and as a result, some of their announcements have been overlooked. So, I'm creating this thread to try to pull it all together in one place.

Given the cost of producing the Big E, it's surprising that they would announce any new Trek kits. Then I guess it's not surprising that it was a very small announcement, literally. They're doing a new 1/2500 scale Cadet Series set containing a Enterprise Refit, Reliant and a K'Tinga cruiser. I read elsewhere that the Refit would be from a new tool, and not the previously released Refit. Personally, I dig the heck out of these little kits! They're fun and I'd love to see them do more.

They also announced a new poll coming to their website with the promise that the winning kit would definitely be produced next year. The choices are going to be 1/1000 Reliant, 1/1000 K'Tinga, 1/2500 Akira, 1/32 Galileo shuttle, and 1/72 Iron Giant. Personally, it's going to be very difficult for me to chose between the Reliant and the Akira. I WANT THEM BOTH! NOW!!! Please? :eek:

They had 2 surprising Forbidden Planet announcements. First, they're doing a 1/144 C57D, which works out to about 12" in diameter. Second, they're redoing the Robby the Robot kit to match the Forbidden Planet poster. So, Robby gets the more dynamic, legs spread pose, as well as the damsel in distress in his arms. Now that's an awesome announcement! Thumbs up, Round 2!!! :thumbsup:

Then, they had a handful of new license announcements. They're doing an HO scale model of Graceland. Yeah, you heard right. The King's castle! I can't wait to see somebody put this in their model train set-up. I'm all shook up. :tongue:

Very surprised to hear about the Wizard of Oz license. The first kit will be the Wicked Witch with flying monkey. I don't know if this is planned as the first in a series or a one-off, but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

They announced a Dirty Donny monster figure kit. I had no idea what a "Dirty Donny" is, so I did a little Google search. First of all, Dirty Donny is an artist whose work is in the spirit of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth. Second of all, this kit was actually announced a couple of weeks ago and we all missed it! You can read the announcement HERE. It sounds a lot of potential fun. Can't wait to see it. The announcement says the sculpt would debut at Wonderfest, but I have not seen any pics.

And finally, there are the 2 comic book related announcement. We already knew they had the Marvel license, and we got a hint at their plans when they placed that Marvel comic character poll on their website. Since Wolverine was the runaway victor in that poll, it should surprise no one the he's going to be the first character to get done. Rob "Talon" Holts from Acreation Models had this to say over on the Starship Modeler board:

1/8 Wolverine Figure, the kit looked AMAZING to me. Looked like they took an image of the comic and converted it to 3D, includes 2 claw options, 2 head options (masked and unmasked berzerker) and a decapitated Sentinel head as a base. I would say this is the most dynamic straight-off-the-page-of-the-comic pose yet, of ANY comic book kit ever (in plastic).
Now THAT sounds like something to get excited about! But why hasn't anyone posted photos of this online?!?!? I must see this!!! :mad:

The other comic book announcement was somewhat surprising. Round 2 picked up the DC comic book license. Frank at Moebius already said they were letting this license go because of all the hassle they had to go through to get their Green Lantern kit out the door. However, it's surprising that Round 2 would pick it up so quickly. Their plan is to do a new Superman kit first. Jaime says he keen on doing a Dark Knight Returns version of Batman. I'd call that a long shot, but if it happened, it could be the coolest styrene comic book kit ever created!

For those of you that don't keep up on comics, that's Dark Knight RETURNS, not Dark Knight RISES. RETURNS is an awesome 4 issue graphic novel limited series by Frank Miller published in 1986. It a story of a 55 year old Bruce Wayne that comes out of retirement to fight crime.

That's an impressive showing, announcement wise. IF Round 2 can "put their money where their mouth is" and IF they can crank out figure kits on par with what Moebius is doing these days, I'd say they have a lot to look forward to.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's an impressive showing, announcement wise. IF Round 2 can "put their money where their mouth is" and IF they can crank out figure kits on par with what Moebius is doing these days, I'd say they have a lot to look forward to.
Dont forget Round 2 started out as Playing Mantis/Polar lights,they began the resurgence of figure kits so they are more than capable of cranking out model kits.
Looking forward to seeing the wizard of oz kit.

BRIAN

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, believe me, I remember Polar Lights vividly and fondly. But since forming Round 2, the second coming has been more like re-pop purgatory. While I respect what the original company did for the resurgence of figure kits, that was some time ago. The new company has got some things to prove. I want to be a believer. I want to love Round 2 as much as I loved Polar Lights, but until I have plastic in hand, I will remain cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Great to hear about the 1/144 C57D but I hope they get the dome shapes right this time and don't just scale down the larger inaccurate one.

Don't care about the smaller Trek kits (how about some improvements to the large K'Tinga R2?)

The Wicked Witch and monkey sounds interesting and the Iron Giant......though why put the Iron Giant in a poll with Star Trek kits? It's obvious most people will vote for the Trek kits even though other people might want to see an Iron Giant kit.

I'd like an Iron Giant as it's a retro looking robot.....something that hasn't been done in plastic before (to the best of my knowledge anyway).

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I'd be really keen about an Iron Giant kit. It was a great design in the movie, especially when it transformed.

And there are plenty of Trek kits already, there isn't an Iron Giant kit at all (as far as I know).

Thanks for the news update!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I'd be really keen about an Iron Giant kit. It was a great design in the movie, especially when it transformed.

And there are plenty of Trek kits already, there isn't an Iron Giant kit at all (as far as I know).

I'd prefer some Sky Captain robots but yes the Giant was a great design.

If they do a kit I hope they do the eyes in transparent green plastic, a moving jaw and the fingers separately for more realism.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm really looking forward to the 1/144 C57D, and the Robbie with girl kits!
I gave up trying To get the seams right on the 28" one and also a place to display it?

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
Oh, I am all over that Wolverine kit! Wow!

As for the poll, I want the Reliant AND the Galileo, darn it!
Everyone's probably going to go for the Reliant, so I'll probably vote for that, and hope for a larger 1/24 Galileo next year.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts

Actually I was going through the dealer room today and saw a vinyl Iron Giant kit for sell. Just thought I'd put that out there. Don't know who did it cause I didn't look any further.

Happy Aurora Trails!
Chinxy!
:dude:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The 1/2500 Refit is only 4.75" long which would make the K'Tinga cruiser about the same size and the Reliant smaller still. Too small for my tastes, rather see these in at least 1/1000 scale.

Regarding the poll choices, my preference is the Galileo, but I'd take any of the others except the Akira.

I'd definitely pick up the 1/144 C57D, 12" dia. is more "shelf-friendly" then the original kit.

It's great to hear that R2 is doing new kits of Superman and Batman. If the Wolverine sculpt is any indication, these new kits should be worth the wait. I hope they can do the Dark Knight Returns Batman, always wanted this in styrene.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The Galileo will be in 1/32 scale if done - that was the consensus of the crowd at Wonderfest in the meeting and Round 2's. Iron Giant was voted on the list by the crowd as well.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
Oh well. I was hoping for 1/24 (bigger is better!), but 1/32 is fine.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's Wolverine. Alternate head by left foot. Stand is a Sentinel head.
Holy guacamole! That is one fantastic sculpt!!! This is now officially my favorite thing from this year's Wonderfest. Some of my faith in Round 2 has been restored after seeing this. Outstanding!!!

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Oh well. I was hoping for 1/24 (bigger is better!), but 1/32 is fine.
Assuming it's made, a 1/32 Galileo would be a better choice then 1/24, IMHO. It will be cheaper to produce and will sell for less. Also, 1/32 is a popular scale for aircraft kits (1/24 not so much) and is in scale with other Sci-Fi kits such as some of the Moebius Galactica kits, allowing you to display it against these other kits to get an idea of real world size relationships. Having said (wrote) that, if they did go crazy and produce a 1/24 Galileo, and if I had the cash, I would pick one up!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am very glad Tom at R2 is going to issue a C57D in an acceptable, displayable scale. The large one for me was a monstrosity, and I had nowhere to display it so I didnt buy it...I did, however build one for a client, and I must say it was badly enjineered. so this is great news.

Z

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
re: C-57D
They've gone from too big to too small. 12", really? I guess. 18" would make a greater impression.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts