Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I had the pleasure of picking up the Grissom / Klingon Bird of Prey 2-pack this weekend and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of both ships! They look amazing and the lines on both kits are crisp (what you'd expect from new casts!)

Because I have no patience, I hastily assembled the Grissom and sat it next to my 1:1000 Refit Enterprise to compare the two. It just seems the Grissom / Oberth is just so much smaller than I imagined. I know R2 goes through a lot of pains to make sure their ships are accurate and to scale, but this just seems too small to me. Anyone else feel this way? I know we never saw these 2 ships together on screen, so we don't have a way to compare with what's on screen. Still, is the size accurate? Or has my imagination been wrong all these years?

·
Curmudgeon
6,624 Posts
According to this graphic posted on the Ex Astris Scientia website, the Oberth class ships are 150 meters in length while the "Refit" Constitution class ships are 305 meters in length. If it's accurate, that would make the USS Grissom slightly shorter than half the length of the USS Enterprise.

On the other hand, there seem to be some irregularities regarding the size of the Oberth class ships and at least one other website states the length is just under 200 meters, which would make Grissom approximately two-thirds the length of Enterprise. Either way, it's definitely a smaller ship.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
People are going to say the same thing when the Bandai 1/1000 Rebel Blockade Runner comes out.

The Grissom, BOP, Blockade Runner are all small ships and 1/1,000 is a small scale.

I've got a vacu-form model of the Grissom that is scale to the 1/537 Refit. Its a nice size.

Part of me wishes that Jamie would correct the 1/537 scale line by restarting it at an accurate 1/500 scale line.

Its a great mid size scale, where a lot of subjects could have been done at a reasonable price and subjects like the aforementioned subjects.

The 1/350 kits are great, but their cost I would imagine, would give pause to producing some lesser known subjects.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd love a 1/350 Grissom but we'll never see that in styrene. The old 1/537 vacuform was a great kit--I absolutely loathe vacuform but that one went together quite well and looked great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts