Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
WOW!!! It's almost like I'm back in the early '70s!
I really hope the other big manufacturers get in on the reissue kick and dust off the old molds. I'd love it if Revell/Monogram repopped all the old Aurora figures and Tom Daniel showrods.

Chris.:)

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
You're not wrong Denis! I honestly never ever thought in my wildest dreams that we'd have the fantastic kits we have today. From the very latest in slide mold technology all the way to the classic kits we cut our teeth on, we're definitely living the dream!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
This catalog is some of the best news I've seen in a while. Looks like R2 will be getting quite a bit of my money over the next few months.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
You're not wrong Denis! I honestly never ever thought in my wildest dreams that we'd have the fantastic kits we have today. From the very latest in slide mold technology all the way to the classic kits we cut our teeth on, we're definitely living the dream!!

What is "slide mold technology"?
I have never heard that term before.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Some kits like a lot of the Dragon armour kits have parts that are cast using not only mold halves, but have some molds that move sideways allowing parts like guns to be molded with hollow barrels (as an example). It adds a lot more detail to the parts.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
What is "slide mold technology"?
I have never heard that term before.
"slide mold technology" is just hype for something that has been used to make model kits for over 40 years. Its like back in the 70s when Revell said stuff like "includes accurately detailed parts" on the box... DUH.

If you look at a model car body, for example, you will notice it has some mold seams around the outside... usually around the window posts or down the top of the fenders, etc. Those are from the sections of a sliding mold that come together to make a one -piece body. Most model kits are made from a simple clam shell mold... left and right halves that come together to make the complete part with a seam around the middle.

Its not really anything new although companies have been using it to better effect in recent years... you get things like a tank's cannon barrel being hollow on the end, or large parts like Tamiya's 1/32 F-4 Phantom fusilage being molded in one piece versus the traditional left side/right side method.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts