Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
718 Posts
Well, that would seem to be that then, re: the scale. A shame, but oh well... A 1:32 Galileo, at an overall length of 24' would mean a 9" model. (A 26' OAL Galileo, with a 24' hull, would be 9.75".)

Not BAD, but it does just seem a bit... "smallish"... to me.

A 1:24 scale 24' shuttle would be exactly 12" in length (the 26' version which I personally prefer, as mentioned above, would be exactly 13" in length.)

I dunno... I mean, I'll buy the 1:32 kit (and I'm sure it will, necessarily, be MUCH less expensive!). But I do wish that the larger kit was what they were going to make. (sigh)

Re: the 1701 kit release... no huge surprise there. I suspect that the release date issue has to do with Chinese customs rules... NEVER an easy thing to work through! (Unless you maintain a separate budget for bribes...grrrr...)

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Sadly, not a lot of interest in the shuttle (I will buy one though) but I am O.K. with the news on the Big E. If it's "in production" that's good enough news for me. Predicting a year or so in advance when a model will hit shelves has to be taken with a grain of salt anyway, especialy when dealing with an overseas facility.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Re: the 1701 kit release... no huge surprise there. I suspect that the release date issue has to do with Chinese customs rules... NEVER an easy thing to work through! (Unless you maintain a separate budget for bribes...grrrr...)
Note to Round 2: BUILD AMERICAN! What extra you spend upfront you'll more than save in not having the back and forth, the language and cultural mismatches, and having to delay stuff because the other guys refuse to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Not surprised on the delay either as I would have expected news before this on the pre-order. Jamie stated in a previous blog that they were trying to set up the pre-order process and this may have delayed things a bit.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Pretty soon it wont make sense to produce kits "over there". The price of oil keeps rising and so does the price of manufacturing. I would GLADLY pay a couple extra bucks if it meant putting Americans back to work.

As for the delay on the the big E...:(.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Pretty soon it wont make sense to produce kits "over there". The price of oil keeps rising and so does the price of manufacturing. I would GLADLY pay a couple extra bucks if it meant putting Americans back to work.

As for the delay on the the big E...:(.
Glad more and more people are seeing this. I have been saying it for years on this board and for a long time I have gotten nasty remarks for my "naive" thinking. With all the added costs of shipping and time delays, it will come out to be around the same price soon. LET'S START NOW!!!!!!!

·
Banned
718 Posts
Yes...

The "per hour" cost of tooling is higher here than there... that's true.

But, the "number of passes" is usually FAR LOWER.

Furthermore, and this is a HUGE issue...

IF YOU HAVE THE TOOLING HERE, YOU CAN ENSURE THAT YOU KNOW HOW MANY SHOTS HAVE BEEN PRODUCED.

There will be hundreds of thousands of these kits produced in China which will never, ever be "reported" to Round2. I know, for a fact, that this is how it works, because I've traveled to China quite a bit. I've bought lots and lots of stuff, in China. Not "counterfeit" items, but real "production line" items using the same tooling, etc. But items lacking, say, serial numbers.

(In fact, I've bought that sort of item for products I was actually working on, and confirmed that the items were made from my original production tooling.)

Yes, the numbers "up front" sure look good. But realize, Round Two is going to receive revenue from a partial subset... maybe 1/2, maybe less... of the total production run which will be "shot" in China.

Those sold in China itself will not really affect the Round2 bottom line, compared to making them in the States, because Round2 (like any US company) can't really sell US made product in China (it's illegal to do so!).

But at least half of the "off the books" kits will be sold to other markets, outside of China. And THAT will deeply cut into Round Two's revenue stream on this kit.

I've seen it... quite a few times, in multiple markets. It's standard operating procedure for China, unfortunately.

·
Registered
520 Posts
..........IF YOU HAVE THE TOOLING HERE, YOU CAN ENSURE THAT YOU KNOW HOW MANY SHOTS HAVE BEEN PRODUCED.

There will be hundreds of thousands of these kits produced in China which will never, ever be "reported" to Round2. I know, for a fact, that this is how it works, because I've traveled to China quite a bit. I've bought lots and lots of stuff, in China. Not "counterfeit" items, but real "production line" items using the same tooling, etc. But items lacking, say, serial numbers...........
Which was one of the reasons Tamiya moved some (all?) of its production line out of China a while ago.......

Gene

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Those sold in China itself will not really affect the Round2 bottom line, compared to making them in the States, because Round2 (like any US company) can't really sell US made product in China (it's illegal to do so!).
I sure would like to hit appon this, but, alas, the rules of this forum prohibit it! It would borderline political...

HAL9001-

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
It's fine.

I'm not worried and to be honest I would have been surprised to get it in September. The work Jamie and R2 has done is truly extraordinary!

I hope I see it by October for my birthday, but whenever it gets here is ok.

I would expect November.

We don't know where they are at at this point, but once everything is done it's still 10-14 days to cross the pacific and then it has to clear customs and get re shipped.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
You didn't hear? They decided to make them wider, so that they now resemble a Hersey's chocolate bar's "gridlines." AAAAAAAA!!
Will they be able to match the color of the chocolate in the plastic, or will we need to paint it to get the proper look. Also, will they be supplying "Hershey's" decals for the individual panels or will that be an after market item! ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts