Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,777 Posts
Well I can't speak to what guys were doing at the Birds, but I wouldn't bother replacing the rotor more than once per season.

I was worried about the field strength myself about a year and a half ago so I tested it. I compared the flux(measure of field strength) of a rotor that had been used for 1 4 minute run to a rotor that had been run weekly for about 10 months. The difference in field strength was a bit less than 2% which is within the acceptable tolerance range for the magnet material itself, so effiectively there was no difference.

This was done with the old bonded rotor that ran much hotter than the new sintered rotor. The new rotor would be even better.

· Registered
2,777 Posts
If you were to change your rotor every run it would not even be tiny advantage. You would have just as good a chance of hurting yourself as helping. There is some variation in the magnetic properties of the material from batch to batch. You would be just as likely to take a rotor out of your car that was on the high end and replace it with a rotor on the low end as you would be to help yourself.

Now if you wanted to spend thousands of dollars for a teeny tiny advantage you could buy a flux meter, coil and fixturing to check the strength of the rotors and pick out the best rotor out of a large group. Of course in the end it would help you very very very little on the track.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.