1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Because there is a break pattern in the lighting rotation. If all 32 were present, there would be no break.
Not sure what that ment, here is one I made about 15 years ago for my LM's 16.5" J-2. I took great care to make sure it looked right, not like some shots that looked like there was dead lamps in the ship's FX unit. I drive 4 LEDs in sequence,(one on three off) in rotation and it looks just like it did on the show, when all the lights worked. I'll be recycling it with white LEDs for one of my Moebius builds. The one on the right will do other blinky light effects in the ship.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What will be the approximate price range of this unit? I want one,but if it is something like twice the price of the kit,I'll pass.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
No,that means it will look like the effect on TV.If you had 32 LEDs,it would just be a ring of lights,no effect.
You did get the part where I said the LEDs are in motion and not just on. IMHO the effect is spot on.....:thumbsup: Should I post a video so that there is no misunderstanding of what my circuit looks like?:rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
You did get the part where I said the LEDs are in motion and not just on. IMHO the effect is spot on.....:thumbsup: Should I post a video so that there is no misunderstanding of what my circuit looks like?:rolleyes:
I got it,but in order to have the "comet tail" effect with just a slight delay in it,24 works just fine.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
No,that means it will look like the effect on TV.If you had 32 LEDs,it would just be a ring of lights,no effect.
Well lets see, I had a 32 LED Sparkchaser core in my PL kit. Not all the LEDs were "on" at the same time. There was a chase pattern, some were on and some were off. But, if there is not an LED for each window, regardless if it is on or off during the chase, some windows will not have an LED to them. How can 32 windows be be lit in a chase pattern when there are 8 more windows than LEDs?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Except that there were six lights rotating in the core. Not eight. Really hard to do with LED's. The chaser lights were still driven by mechanical means.

·
Registered
903 Posts
It is true that there are only 24 leds in the core. But the way they are are programmed, that will not be noticeable. If you liked the J2 pod, you will love this one. Be sure to check out the video when Randy posts it.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
It is true that there are only 24 leds in the core. But the way they are are programmed, that will not be noticeable. If you liked the J2 pod, you will love this one. Be sure to check out the video when Randy posts it.
I was just asking, I'm sure it will look great.....:thumbsup: I've seen your lighting kits and they are very well engineered at a good price. perfect for those who can't build thier own.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts