Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been hearing a lot of talk about Rommel's Rod.

Who's Rommel? Is it the German field commander? If so, if you don't mind me asking, why the fascination with a heinous Nazi?

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
He was REGULAR Werhrmacht to the bone and was NEVER a 'nazi'

He was a highly decorated officer in WWI, awarded the Pour le Merite for his exploits on the Italian front. In World War II he further distinguished himself as the commander of the "Ghost Division" during the 1940 invasion of France However, it was his masterful leadership of German and Italian forces in the North African campaign that established the legend of the Desert Fox. He is generally considered to have been the most skilled commander of desert warfare in the war. He later commanded the German forces opposing the Allied cross-channel invasion of Normandy. Rommel is considered to have been a chivalrous and humane officer, in contrast with many other figures of Nazi Germany. His famous Afrika korps was not accused of any war crimes. Soldiers captured during his Africa campaign were reported to have been largely treated humanely. Furthermore, he defiantly ignored orders to kill captured Jewish soldiers and civilians out of hand in all theaters of his command.
Late in the war, Rommel joined the conspiracy against Adof Hitler, but opposed the failed 20th of July plot of 1944 to kill the dictator. Because of his great prestige, Hitler allowed him to commit suicide. He was buried with full military honors, but the real reason for his death didn't come to light until the Nuremberg Trials.

That is ONE reason. The other is that the model kit is just pain cool!

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah. I stand schooled.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Thanks guys...glad to help.

I am the first to admit that I am very guilty of romancing war, the machines, uniforms and all that, good or evil especially WWII but I have always had greatest respect for those in the German ranks who did not fall for or believe in Hitlers crazy nightmarish dreams for Germany. I find my self explaining to many younger people that not all German Folk during the 30's and 40's were devout Nazi's....in fact less than half if not more....but it was fear of what would become of oneself if a bad word was spoken against Adolf, his SS or his ideals....you never knew who you could trust.

Fear is a powerful thing indeed :(

I hope that we can keep this topic civil and interesting. We use to be able to have all kinds of fun and even get into some deep thought on this board as long as we kept it mature, interesting, neutral and clean :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
again, my mistake. Should have researched it beforehand.

Although, truth be told, I did get Rommel and Heinrich Himmler confused. Guess it's the double M's.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
No pro Pal! :wave:

I did not mean it to be a lecture towards you at all...just standing on my soap box.

Now that scumbag was an excellent example of being a nutcase long before Hitler
took power and was just the wrong person at the wrong time....That sick bastard got what he deserved and was a big coward as well! :drunk:

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No pro Pal! :wave:

I did not mean it to be a lecture towards you at all...just standing on my soap box.

Now that scumbag was an excellent example of being a nutcase long before Hitler
took power and was just the wrong person at the wrong time....That sick bastard got what he deserved and was a big coward as well! :drunk:
Nah. Sometimes I need a little history lesson / tongue-lashing.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I am a Big History fan,espescialy when it comes to different wars and Campaigns.Rommel is one of my favorite Historical figures.As Fluke has stated,He truly was an officer and a gentleman.Rommel was a Soldier and Did not let politics get in the way of his job which was leading troops.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Rommel was one of the few Axis battlefield commanders who was pretty well respected and regarded by the Allies.

The (old) movie "The Desert Fox" with James Mason as Rommel is a pretty good bio pic...

·
Curmudgeon
6,624 Posts
Late in the war, Rommel joined the conspiracy against Adolf Hitler, but opposed the failed 20th of July plot of 1944 to kill the dictator. Because of his great prestige, Hitler allowed him to commit suicide. He was buried with full military honors, but the real reason for his death didn't come to light until the Nuremberg Trials.
According to a documentary I saw recently, some historians now believe that Rommel was murdered and that the "suicide or trial" story was yet another fabrication concocted as part of the cover-up regarding his death.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Rommel was a professional soldier, indeed one of the very best that Hitler had at his disposal, who worked his way up the chain of command.
In the end, he, like his Deutsches Afrika Armee, was very poorly treated by his commander in chief, not the least of which reasons was because he dared speak truthfully about potential defeat to his leader, face-to-face, shortly before the 20 July plot.
And as for "murder vs. suicide", if you are blackmailed into taking your own life, it is not "suicide", it is murder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts