Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
37,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Roly Toys is a Brazilian company, originally based in Rio de Janeiro. They are known to be the first make of diecast cars in Brazil.

Founded by Mauricio M Nbuch, they started making their own small-scale diecast models - similar in size to Matchbox's Regular Wheels castings from 1964 to 1968. Like Matchbox , these castings ranged in scale from 1:54 to 1:62 scale. They also made a few truck models in 1:100 scale made to fit into the same sized Matchbox style boxes. These castings represented both German and Brazilian brand vehicles.

In 1968, they became the Brazilian distributor of Matchbox. They started out importing finished models. But, from around 1972 onward, they began importing the parts instead. With final painting and assembly occurring locally in the city of Manaus. Some models can also be found with the Roly Toys name on their base plates, but are rare.

In 1975, the company was renamed Inbrima and continued its association with Matchbox until around 1990.

Another information section on Trol, from The Diecast Encyclopedia, indicates they were also a successor to Roly Toys who also made castings for Faller. As well as being another distributor of Matchbox diecast vehicles.

Sourced references -

Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006)
Roly Toys | hobbyDB

·
Administrator
37,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yesterday I embarked on the 5th and 6th phases of my odyssey to reconcile The Diecast Encyclopedia with current information now available and updated since 2006 for the known diecast makers from the world wide web. In doing so, I have massaged the entries here at HobbyTalk for Roly Toys (above), and the related associations with Inbrima, Kiko, and Trol also of Brazil and their liscensed brand associations to Corgi, Faller, Majorette, Matchbox and Revell. Still an interesting read for me that dispels some of the 'copied' and 'stolen' casting myths that still abound in the diecast collecting world.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts