Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Comin back from Nashville back in August I saw a bus being hauled up the mountain, headed back east. It was THE coolest bus I'd ever seen. NEVER seen nothin like it. It was ratted, chopped, skirted and had a honker motor to pull it. When I got home I posted everywhere asking if anyone made an old school bus casting. Nothing was readily available. The week after the Nashville trip I was in Newton NC at a car show. The downtown area was blocked off and it was a pretty big show. Rounded the corner at the court house and there....There set da bus! The guy that built it lives in the Newton / Conover area. Really is a small world. Monday I was in Wally's and saw this MB double decker bus. It had the rounded corners like the older type school buses. Looked like I could cut the top off and use it. When I got to lookin' the top and the bottom decks actually seperated without cutting them apart. That just don't happen to me. I went to the junk bend and found a JADA 32 FORD Hot Rod. This would provide the grill, hood, fenders and wheel assembly. The top of the plastic grill was jade green. Rather than repaint it I decided to use Jade green on the bus. About this time I also decided maybe it would look good with an open engine bay. I hacked up a Maisto 34 FORD motor which was the smallest thing I had that would come close to fitting the compartment. After setting it I really didn't like the look. But I did like the Vick grill. So what actually determined the color became a moot point. Now I'm considering a repaint when I get the band decals made. I've got to fill up another sheet before I can print them though. Anyway here's how its sittin now. In looking at the shots I see several oversites that will enhance the overall appearence when corrected. Tail lamps and turn signals are a must. It also needs some side view mirrors. The grill needs to be blackwashed and the fuel tank cap needs to be scraped. I'm probably going to repolish it and remove the distressed look and give it a better overall finish.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That's one cool bus.

I collect bus' and have a doubledecker like you started with, but never saw that in it. ;)

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
The top of that d.d'er lends itself amazingly well to what you did.
I can see someone taking ispiration from this and applying it to a full size vehicle.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember seeing that bus as Cruisin' the Coast this year. Very cool!
"Round, round, get around!" Don't know how road worthy it is but at least the guy has a place to spend the nights.

The guys in the band saw the model last night at practice. First thing they asked?

"When we gettin' ours?"

"When we make enough per gig to feed the sucker."

"So we should take that as probably never?"

"Will be if we don't quit changing personnel."

Keeping a band together is harder than working through a bad marriage. The bigger it gets trying to even schedule a practice is like trying to align a planet convergence.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm courious to see some of the things y'all come up with. I found a double decker in the junk yard that's a different body style. I'm keeping an eye out for some fenders an hood for it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just saw this bus live last night in Ormond Beach Florida. No doubt here for the Turkey Rod Run this weekend. What a cool looking bus. It was getting a ton of attention. Awesome.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts