Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend showed me a 16 inch YM-3 robot he wants to sell cheap. But someone has painted this vinyl model with the wrong paint. It's still tacky. I dont know what kind of paint was used. Can the paint be removed without harming the model ??? How can it be removed ???

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
A friend showed me a 16 inch YM-3 robot he wants to sell cheap. But someone has painted this vinyl model with the wrong paint. It's still tacky. I dont know what kind of paint was used. Can the paint be removed without harming the model ??? How can it be removed ???
The easy way: if it's not bumpy you can just paint over it with acrylic.
The not-easy way: elbow grease & mineral spirits. I'm pretty sure it'll be okay, but test on an inside surface of the vinyl to make 100% sure.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I wouldn't hit it with mineral spirits - if the kit is vinyl, that could mess up the whole kit. I've had the sticky paint thing with various acrylics before and I just use Easy-Off - put the kit in a plastic bag, spray it all over very liberally, then tie up the bag and leave it for a day. Take it out and wash it with soap and water and Bob's your uncle (I had two. Bob's that is. Uncles).

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I wouldn't hit it with mineral spirits - if the kit is vinyl, that could mess up the whole kit.
Really? I never had to clean off vinyl, mineral spirits corrode it or something? Once I had to clean paint off a resin gun- I used mineral spirits and I didn't wear gloves, so I KNOW it's not good for skin...:tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Easy-Off Oven cleaner works like magic !!! Thanks for the advice. I Would have never guessed it would work so well !!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Easy off eh? I'd have been scared to death to try that one. Thanks for the advice, I'll add it to my bag of tricks for those rare vinyl kits I do.

Best of luck on your Robot. Chris can be a huge resource for you if he's game and you ask him really nicely :)

Tib

1 - 7 of 7 Posts