Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear from current & previous owners of ROBITRONIC Pro-Master II Dyno about the issue of power supply for this dyno. The manual reccomend Panasonic lead-acid battery with at least 17ah. I have heard that if you use anything other than the reccomended battery that you will get "false numbers" when dynoing. What is everyone using as power source? Has anyone made comparison on results with Panasonic & other batteries? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Henry E.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any comments on the ROBI dyno will be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Henry E.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
erock1331 said:
Henry,
Just replied to your private message.

It should give you some insight on the batts.
Thanx

Henry E.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lets hear what everyone thinks. I asked the same question when i got my robi dyno. I ended up buying a deep cycle battery for mine. I have a 75 amp power supply i would like to use if i knew it wouldnt mess it up. I know the fantom guys use them.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I have used just about everything, a 170 cranking amp tractor battery a 270 cranking amp tractor battery, a Panasonic 17ah lead acid battery, and a big industrial size battery (not sure the specs) and my numbers are all consistent. For a stocker I like to see em about 126+ watts for a race motor. Only thing I have never tried or seen with a robi user is someone powering it with a power supply.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The manual specifically does not recommend using power supply. They even print it in bold letters.

·
Registered
82 Posts
they do not reccomend using a power supply i bought a 12volt lead acid battery 17amps at a battery source store. and works fine.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I too have used a variety of lead acid batterys, and I've never seen any differances in the numbers given by my Robi.

I don't think a 75 amp power supply would be very good... Mainly because you could most likely easily exceed 75 amps when dynoing with a Robi. I'd stick to a lead acid battery.

I beleive the Robi manual recomends a specific battery, suposedly to 'protect' the dyno itself. The ide being that the battery they recomend will act as a current limiter and never supply too much juice to the dyno, thereby protecting it... If you dyno sub 12 turn motors, you'd probably be wise to follow there recomendations, but for 19 turns and up, I've NEVER had any problems using normal car type lead acid batterys. (I've only dynoed a couple motors between 19 and 12 turns, so I can't say for certian that there is not any issue with that range...

Personaly I think the idea of using a battery as a current limiter/protection is a little shakey... It would seem better if Robitronic had something internal to the dyno that did whatever was nessasry to protect itself.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
The manual recommends the Panasonic 12v 17ah lead acid battery.
I know the part number they have listed in my manual is a dated part number (battery is obsolete now). Panasonic has since came out with a new model number. If you do a search on the web though they show you the old with the new number usually.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know the ampere (Ah) rating or it's equivalent for a lawn mower battery with 275 cranking power? There is nowhere in the battery itself that says it's Ah numbers. Or does anyone know how to convert cranking power to Ah? Thanx

Henry E.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Henry if you find out please post.
I asked the Walmart guy when I bought my tractor batt for the ah rating. He looked in his manual and it never had anything listed.
jeepnyy said:
Does anyone know the ampere (Ah) rating or it's equivalent for a lawn mower battery with 275 cranking power? There is nowhere in the battery itself that says it's Ah numbers. Or does anyone know how to convert cranking power to Ah? Thanx

Henry E.

·
Registered
657 Posts
where can i check out this robi dyno out at? i have never seen one. all people i know use the phantom. i would like to buy a robi for something different.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
http://www.robitronic.com/robitronic_e.htm

Look on the left hand side where it says Motor Checker and click it.

New Between $720-800
Used $400-500
Not sure if anyone is still carrying it in the U.S.
I thought Trinity was for a while but not sure anymore.

Not to start a dyno war here but I have had awesome motors on this dyno which set track records which were like 60-62 watters on a Fantom. and Vice Versa I have seen guys with 69 watters be duds on the track and duds on my robi.

U make the call on which is giving you the right info.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
erock1331 said:
Yep I have seen that battery floating around at the track, same label but green with yellow lettering.
Eric...I got a question for you since you have the same dyno. Have you use the gear calculator? If you do, how does it work? Thanx

Henry E.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Henry
I am actually using the free trial version off the website which is Window based and since it's free alot of the features are not usable like the gear caclulator.
My computers serial port is bad so I am running a serial to usb convertor which the dos based version software will not recognize the usb port. I know alot of guys have this dyno at my track and I dont think I have ever seen anyone use it.
Not that it might not be helpful I just have never seen it used. Kinda like the Fantom dyno, usually for a Monster motor it wants you to roll the car out about 4 teeth off from where it needs to be.

Another reason I think the gear caclulator seems to produce incorrect rollouts is it's inability to take into consideration factors such as:
Rolling resistence of the track (whether asphalt, concrete, carpet and if you are using foams or caps),
Tight turns / versus sweeping turns
Hot verus cold weather conditions
Etc.
Which can all effect gearing.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Dynomohum - You got mail

Hey robi owners - What are you getting out of your Epic Roar stock motors @ 7.5volts?

So far my best has been
126 watts
34900 rpm
74 torque

With not much tuning at all, motor is stout on the track.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts