Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should check out the vintage Dick Cavatt show TCM is repeating at 11pm Eastern with Mitch in his swingin' seventies prime. they're showing Night of the Hunter, Cape Fear, and Out of the Past too.

Mitchum drinks steadily as he tells stories in the hour + special, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gruffydd said:
Plus he lights up a fatty on the show!
I liked his answer to Cavatt's:"What's the secret to a happy thirty year marriage?"

Mitchum: "Deviousness"

·
Starship Class
11,653 Posts
Lloyd Collins said:
Actors like Mitchum, were real men, not what we got today!
Yep! Along with Robert Duvall, one of the absolutely best Southern accents ever on the screen by a non-Southerner. (He must have learned a lot on that Georgia chain-gang.)

One of our customers is a cousin of Mitchums and used to see him at some family reunions on rare occasions.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
My younger brother was shocked that Radio Raheem's "Left Hand - Right Hand " speech in "Do The Right Thing" was actually a verbatem homage to Mitchum's great recititation in "The Night of The Hunter". Agreed - he did Southern right. Compare Mitchum's authentic accent in the original "Cape Fear" to De Niro's utterly bizarre fake Southern accent in the inferior remake. Max Cady and Harry Powell are my two favorite Mitchum performances - among many, many others.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was flipping thru the channels the other night and ended up watching Thunder Road, Mitchum sounded authentic in that one too.

·
Starship Class
11,653 Posts
Zorro said:
. . . Agreed - he did Southern right. Compare Mitchum's authentic accent in the original "Cape Fear" to De Niro's utterly bizarre fake Southern accent in the inferior remake. Max Cady and Harry Powell are my two favorite Mitchum performances - among many, many others.
I'm glad someone else doesn't care for that idiotic, white trash remake of Cape Fear. I absolutely loathe that movie. The original one still draws me in and is exciting and suspenseful while the remake has me rooting for the killer to kill the family and himself all in the first ten minutes.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
I'm glad someone else doesn't care for that idiotic, white trash remake of Cape Fear. I absolutely loathe that movie. The original one still draws me in and is exciting and suspenseful while the remake has me rooting for the killer to kill the family and himself all in the first ten minutes.
Yeah. I'm a big fan of Scorsese. I'm a big fan of De Niro. I'm not a big fan of of the "Cape Fear" remake.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not a fan of the Cape Fear remake either, for one, the original is such a good movie it doesn't need remaking. It's surprisingly adult, and doesn't appear 'dated" like many movies of it's time.

The Scorsese version comes off as over-the-top and cartoony, despite an excellent cast. Mitchum's Max Cady is smooth and scary, in the remake, you almost think Illeana Douglas deserves her onscreen fate since only the most oblivious idiot would go to a hotel room with Deniro's Cady, much less let him tie her up. Compare that scene with the original, you don't see what Mitchum does to the same character, but what you imagine is more unsettling than any Hollywood gore SFX.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
"I got somethin' planned for your wife and kid that they ain't nevah gonna forget. They ain't nevah gonna forget it... and neither will you, Counselor! Nevah!"

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Ditto — the original is far superior, and onscreen violence can be much more disturbing when it's left to the audience's imagination.

[IMG-LEFT]http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/attachment.php?attachmentid=33754&stc=1[/IMG-LEFT]
BTW, I always liked Barrie Chase in the original version as the slutty girl who hooks up with Max Cady and lives to regret it. Though known primarily as a dancer, she was also a pretty good dramatic actress. You may also remember her as Dick Shawn's spaced-out girlfriend in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Oh yeah! Incredibly sexy. And perusing her page on the IMDb I was tickled to learn that she is the only female in the original "The Flight of The Phoenix". She's the heat/thirst induced belly dancer who appears as a "mirage" in the middle of the desert.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
PhilipMarlowe said:
Compare that scene with the original, you don't see what Mitchum does to the same character, but what you imagine is more unsettling than any Hollywood gore SFX.
Mitchum breaking and smearing the egg across Polly Bergen's chest is an amazingly menacing and suggestive act. I was surprised that one got past the censors, but then ... it was just an egg.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zorro said:
Max Cady and Harry Powell are my two favorite Mitchum performances - among many, many others.
Don't forget these! Mitchum was a real renaissance kinda guy who released 3 albums in the fifties and sixties. They're all available on CD, and some are surprisingly listenable, especially in the context of "celebrity records". In fact, Mitchum's version of "I get no kick from champagne" on the infamous "Golden Throats" CD's is pretty smokin' imho:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Zorro said:
"I got somethin' planned for your wife and kid that they ain't nevah gonna forget. They ain't nevah gonna forget it... and neither will you, Counselor! Nevah!"
That's "Cown-slah", not "Counselor."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts