Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
excellent job Steven . actually this was an original PL deal . kind of a companion piece to the LIS robot which was an Aurora re-release .
hb

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hey, Steven, FANTASTIC job!! It really looks great!! As far as I know, though I could easily be wrong, I don't think it's an Aurora re-pop.

Again, great job!!

Wayne

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
very nice ! i wish i could find a larger scale robbie. HMM, i wonder if moebius models is thinking of releasing one ? they have the irwin allen license now.
here is my pl robbie

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Steve.... You da man!

Looks great! :thumbsup: Did you do alclad chrome on the metal parts?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!
fluke said:
Looks great! :thumbsup: Did you do alclad chrome on the metal parts?
I used Tamiya Chrome silver and I just left some parts the cheese Chrome plating out of the box.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Awesome job on Robby! Always one of my favorite; especially when he fought the LIS robot. Keep up the good work.

Cappy D

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Looks really good Steven. I seldom saw the show but that gave me a little deja vue moment there !!
Dabbler

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Sweet build, the seams on that puppy are a bear as I recall.

·
Curmudgeon
6,621 Posts
PhilipMarlowe said:
Boy, you ain't kiddin'! I built one for a friend years ago and...well, let's just say whoever thought it was a good idea for the "head" section to be assembled that way was not thinking clearly. It takes a bit of work, but it's really a good looking kit once it's finished.

Strong work Steven! Looks great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
model maker said:
i wish i could find a larger scale robbie.
masudeya (sp?) made one thats about 18 inches tall and is very very nice. (they also made an even larger one). (theyll cost you a fortune if you can find one now) it even comes with a "laugh bag" style voice box that plays 3 phrases from the movie, and a blinking light behind the chest plate.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
PhilipMarlowe said:
Almost identical to those on the Aurora/Polar Lights Lost in Space Robot. You wouldn't think that it would be so very hard to eliminate the straight seams that appear on the flat, featureless sides of both 'bots. But they are, and the metallic finish on each guy only makes the slightest flaws that much more noticeable. The lighting on Steve's image 0188 was unfortunately perfect enough to pick up some 'ghosts' on Robbie's side. My LIS Robot has the same problem but again, only if the light hits it just right.

But there's a time to say, "this is as good as it's going to get", which I would also suggest is an apropos description of the job Steve did on his Robbie.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi! The robbie kit looks outstanding. I did built one when it first came out,but would like to repaint the body so it has a more mettalic look to it. I dry brushed model masters gun metal on it originaly,but it looks to dull. Did you do any mixing with the paint to get this look to your kit? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mark McGovern said:
[ The lighting on Steve's image 0188 was unfortunately perfect enough to pick up some 'ghosts' on Robbie's side. My LIS Robot has the same problem but again, only if the light hits it just right.[/font]

But there's a time to say, "this is as good as it's going to get", which I would also suggest is an apropos description of the job Steve did on his Robbie.

Mark McG.
You are right! I puttied and sand it over and over to try and remove the seem line. But it still showed up. After it started to mishape the plastic from repeated sanding I just said good enough! The strange thing is that it feels smooth you can even run your finger nail over it and not feel the seem but as soon as you paint it you can see it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
spocks beard said:
Hi! The robbie kit looks outstanding. I did built one when it first came out,but would like to repaint the body so it has a more mettalic look to it. I dry brushed model masters gun metal on it originaly,but it looks to dull. Did you do any mixing with the paint to get this look to your kit? Any suggestions?
I used Tamiya Color metalic black straight out of the can.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks steven coffey, You mention right out of the can, so it sounds like were talking spray paint. Do they offer bottled paint in this color as well, or just the spray? I don't have a problem using spray paint, But i don't have any air brush equiptment,and would rather not mix.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts