Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wife asked if we wanted to do anything today, with a budget of course. So we decided to drive around the country for the day. Of course I've been hunting. The best bit today was that I've met the siku sales rep for New Zealand in one of the shops. He showed me a few new items (as of March 2012) that he put on the shelf. He also gave me two bits of info.

First the Blacklines. They should never have been for sale and the fact that I could find and buy some was a mistake. Well, too bad. :p they are promo items, not even chase cars, limited to about 3000 each worldwide. So basically I've been right all along except that they're not supposed to be for sale. I thought they were chase cars.

The second question I asked was about the American market. I'm not sure what's the truth. You remember I said that import regulations might be an issue, as far as I've heard from some. Well, this one told me that the company is actually not up to the supply pressure. That means if siku wanted to cover the USA successfully, the cost would be too high, they would have to double the production including resources and whatever else. So basically he said siku is consciously bypassing the American market. Ireland is their number one sales area with Korea and New Zealand following (outside of Germany I suppose). It all sounds very complicated but at the end of the day it means that siku doesn't return to the USA anytime soon.

Now to my scores:

First up the Motormax combos. The Camino is the only die cast of the set, the trailer is all plastic. A little disappointing. The Dodge combo is very nice, I reckon. I will have to compare the Motormax and Matchbox Magnums later, should be interesting.

The Matchbox Magnum comes from this set, which I like a bit more than last year's with the Dodge Monaco in it.

I missed this one the first time it came out and I thought I couldn't find it anymore. Well, I found a peg warmer in one of the shops and gave it a home.

Of course I had to get a few HW mainlines. In no particular order:

I didn't catch the Megane in the 2011 colours so this time I had to get a copy. Note the new blue Laguna Seca after the black and grey editions.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
But wait, there is more.

Of course I also bought some siku. I like the new recolour of the VW Bus. I didn't like it so much in yellow but I already had the Blackline version, so now there is this Haribo bus. Haribo is a very popular German brand of gummybears.

Then there is the Police Benz in the "new" blue scheme. When I left Germany in 2006, they still had green and white as their official colours, so I guess that counts as new.

I also have a Viper already as a Blackline with a wing. This one is the recolour I like, I did not buy the previous yellow one (what's up with the yellow).

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the group together:

But hey! Some of you might remember the photos from the Nuremberg toy fair. Blondie, as I call her (wink wink, nudge nudge). A German shepherd, designated as "dog with kennel". Technically off topic, this is not die cast, the dog is rubber and the kennel is plastic. Still, I had to buy her. But I won't test any cyanide capsules on her. :p

The last item was at the door when we got home. Another Blackline, and this one will stay in the box for a while. I didn't keep any of the others in their boxes but if they're really that rare and limited, I might as well.

The Blackline family welcomes the new member:

Thanks for looking.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
First the Blacklines. They should never have been for sale and the fact that I could find and buy some was a mistake. Well, too bad. :p they are promo items, not even chase cars, limited to about 3000 each worldwide. So basically I've been right all along except that they're not supposed to be for sale. I thought they were chase cars.
Man, now I'm a little bummed. As if Siku weren't rare enough in the states, we find that the Blacklines were intended to be promo only. I was hoping to perhaps acquire one of those in the future. Maybe I can, just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Yeah, $40 USD for shipping is not in the plan at the moment.

I checked the site, most of the cars seem to have flames. The Blacklines that really caught my eye were the solid black farm tractors you posted a long while back. If you ever wanted to part with one down the road, I could probably swing the shipping on a piece like that. Just not for what I see available on the trademe site.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, $40 USD for shipping is not in the plan at the moment.

I checked the site, most of the cars seem to have flames. The Blacklines that really caught my eye were the solid black farm tractors you posted a long while back. If you ever wanted to part with one down the road, I could probably swing the shipping on a piece like that. Just not for what I see available on the trademe site.
Oh I see, yes, those tractors were something else. I don't think I'll see one on a shelf here since the sales rep himself was told off by the company for selling the cars. But you never know...

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Well, I was REALLY interested in that Dodge Viper but since I'm not an Aussie or Kiwi, it wouldn't let me join. $40 just for shipping is probably a bit much anyway, I guess.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Most of these are available from European dealers also. Shipping from Europe while still expensive is much cheaper than New Zealand or Australia. Try using Global E-Bay instead of regular e-bay to quadruple the listings available. Be prepared to wait awhile for packages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts