Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a new road board for taking pics. I put in a parking lot this time around. It still needs touched up and the lines painted in. I don't think the colors are looking too good in pics, I think the grass looks way too bright in particular, I might end up starting from scratch again. But I might touch it up and paint in the lines to see how that looks first, I don't know yet.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I have found that a simple piece of green felt makes for some good looking grass. Just glue it in place or buy the stuff with the sticky back to save you time.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have found that a simple piece of green felt makes for some good looking grass. Just glue it in place or buy the stuff with the sticky back to save you time.

Yeah, that sounds good.

I bought a sheet of the diorama grass and it looks good but some of the "grass" falls off the edges when I tried to cut it to size leaving white spots so it doesn't work so well. There's also the loose stuff in the bags that I thought about trying but I think I'd more than likely just make a mess with it instead of a nice clean layer like the stuff pre-glued to the sheet. Felt sounds like a much better idea.

It's funny the stuff I've ended up doing with die cast, this is just for taking pictures lol.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Still workin' on it. This is just a picture test, I definitely like the felt better than the paint I used. It's not glued down yet, I'm trying to decide if I might just leave the parking lot separate like that instead of how I had it painted(I wanted a brighter color than I used last time but I went too bright on this one haha). It'd be like you'd have to get into it from some off the board side road lol. I didn't organize the cars in the lot to look parked, they're just sitting there out of the way for the moment.

I also picked up a roll of white pinstripe tape, that'll make the lines look much cleaner when I put them in. I'm going to do that last.

EDIT-

I put in the road lines, I might not put lines in the parking lot. I think it looks decent without but I'll probably do them later anyway.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha, Thanks. I found the old Drag-U-la the other day in a die cast/collectibles shop and definitely had to have it. That's one I've been wanting since I started collecting, it was cool to find one like that. I might keep it in the lot as a background car for my pictures.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Bob, I really like how you have them displayed. The yellow Gremlin and Hertz GT350 were the first 2 cars that came right into my field of vision, really like them. I see you also have the 2 new M2 tows. Mine are on order and should have them soon. I have a few hundred loose 1:64 cars and trucks sitting on a wooden board that I need to do something with. I don't want to put them into display cases so I need to get creative like you.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. This is pretty much just for taking pictures for posting on here or just for my own amusement. Really posting them here is for my own amusement too lol. I have a bookshelf that's my main die cast display and I have a Tomica diorama setup on top of it. I think it's fun to mess around with display and different ways of taking pictures.

I found the M2 Wild Card tow trucks at the same shop I found the Drag-U-La, I couldn't say no to them either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts