Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you guys have had this question asked before but any help would be appreciated. I just want to know how to perfectly remove a rivet so I can do work on a car. Also I want to be able to assemble it with a screw so I can modify the car in the future? Are there self tapping screws for 1/64? Do you use a tap and die? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Morris

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
www.hotworldcustoms.com
all the info you need. welcome to the custom board. if you dont find the answers there come on back and we will help. this site saves alot of time and typing lol.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
cool ...while i was testing the link.. i noticed dip updated some cool info you guys might like. i see he has my how too's still there under gunisonbrook.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I use the same method as Edseldave. I use #2 tap screws by 1/4" long.
I special ordered 500 of them when I decided to buy them. Better price for volume.

Matter of fact, Edseldave was the person that provided me with some useful tips.
The 1/4" long screws sometimes need to have the threaded end ground down or
otherwise you will have to drill a very deep hole for the tap screw.
I just grind the ends down on a bench grinder. And you can always grind more off if
necessary.
BYW I drill the pilot hole first and then drill out the rivet head with a larger drill bit.
Then you can go back and deepen the hole for the tap screw as required.
Word of caution: don't get in a hurry when doing this kind of stuff.

If you can find #2 tap screws by 3/16" long, they are shorter and work better.
Good luck with your efforts. This stuff is fun, too.

Cheers. Cobra

1 - 8 of 8 Posts