Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am racing on a perfectly smooth racetrack with med/high bite. I was wondering what sort of ride height should I be looking at? I have a step gage that I am using to quick check my car. Any suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
If your track techs ride height then it should be the lowest legal height. If not, and most don't for weekly racing, then i usually set front end so that the right front is lightly bottoming out in the corners. I would then set the rear height so that the chassis is level or the rear is slightly higher than the front. The higher the rear is in relationship to the front the more steering you'll have, generally.

That is just how I do it. Like most things with set-up there really isn't a "right" or "wrong" way when the set-up is within reason. Experiment and go with what works best for you.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a certain number I should be around, or is that just for certain general marks to check once you have your car dialed in?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would say 4.5mm would be the absolute minimum. It also depends on what class and how your car is set-up, that makes a difference on how low you can go. Generally, getting the chassis low is important, but getting the body to be as low as possible without rubbing is more important.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
With foam tires your height will be changing a lot throughout the day so if you're always trying to hit a certain height you'll have your car apart changing spacers after every heat. Just check the bottom of the car after every heat and ensure your car isn't bottoming excessively, a little is fine. The height minimum at most tracks and races that do tech is 3/16" I would generally aim to be around .220" in back and .200" in front? I honestly don't worry about it too much unless there is a ton of grime on the chassis from bottoming or the tech person warns me I am getting low.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well to be honest with you my car always works better at .500 ride height. I have tried everything to get it to work lower but i just wont turn at lower ride heights.

·
Bret Lund
2,684 Posts
DIRTsportsman said:
Well to be honest with you my car always works better at .500 ride height. I have tried everything to get it to work lower but i just wont turn at lower ride heights.
I believe he's asking for carpet ride height.

I run my cars with 4 or 4.5 in the front, and 5 at the rear of the sprung chassis (all left side measurements), and 6mm at the rear of the pod.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Our track is 5mm mine is fine with new foams but after a few races its to low.Their cool about it though just some razzing now and agine.

Jake

·
Registered
286 Posts
I run carpet. I know it sounds weird but i think it has something to do with center of gravity. the car just feels "numb" when i lower it to say .200 ride hieght. Wat could this be caused by.

Also wat does rake and tilt have to do with handling.

Would more caster split sharpen up the steering?

·
Registered
540 Posts
This is the way that I understand it:

Rake refers to the front being lower then the back of the chassis. The more rake the more weight you have on the front tires which means more steering.

Tilt refers to the relation between the left and right side of the chassis. Most people run the left side lower then the right in an oval car. Again it has to do with weight, the lower the left side the more weight there is on the left side tires.

Tim Barnes

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
.200 is way low.. the lowest i can get away with before the chassis drags is about.280 in front.. it just starts to drag around there.. i generally run about .330 to.360 in back, and .300 to .330 in front

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
burbs said:
.200 is way low.. the lowest i can get away with before the chassis drags is about.280 in front.. it just starts to drag around there.. i generally run about .330 to.360 in back, and .300 to .330 in front
On carpet? That seems high.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If your car is set up to roll more in the turns, you won't be able to run as low a ride height compared to a car that is setup to not roll as much. (meaning stiffer springs, higher front roll center)

On the straights, some tracks will be smooth, others will have bigger bumps, so that could account for the different responses from different people.

On a flat asphalt track, I've noticed a small difference in going from a .300 ride height to about a .175 or so, but it was really in the realm of fine tuning.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dirtsportsmen,

Most people measure on the chassis just behind the front arms, at the back of the chassis at the corners and back center of the pod. I use the Hudy ride height guage and measure from the bottom of the chassis. Other people just use their dial calipers and measure down from the top of the chassis. This may also account for the different reading that people are giving you. If someone is saying .200 and they are measuring from the bottom I'm guessing that would about the same as .325 from the top.

I hope this helps,
Tim

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
DIRTsportsman said:
So a lower car with stiffer springs should technically be faster with less body roll?
Right?
BTW where do you measure ride hieght. What do you guys use to measure?
That what I used to think!!
Maybe on a smooth track with high side bite.
And I haven't seen that track yet!

Raising the chassis gives you more side bite.
I ran faster lap times with my chassis at 4-5mm. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
ta_man said:
On carpet? That seems high.

Pretty sure burbs was talking about measuring to the top of the chassis. That would be about .200"-.230" of actual ride height (minus .100" of graphite), or roughly 5mm which is pretty normal.

·
Registered
286 Posts
ok so the theory that you should just slam the chassis as low as you can untill it bottoms out probably doesnt work at all tracks. If were are talking roll center to get side bite then a car with small tires at .200 ride hieght would have a high cg then a car at .200 with big tires because the chassis and it compnents are really hanging much lower compared to the axles. I think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts