Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
While I realize that the starboard side of the hanger deck was originally designed to be removed for side shots, I'm guessing that they didn't because, for it's time, it would have been a real bear, and cost more, to have to hide the shuttlecraft's mounting rod during launches and landings.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Nifty! And a clear confirmation that the so-called "gold outline" to the hull number was nothing more than decal yellowing.

·
Starship Class
11,925 Posts
John P said:
Nifty! And a clear confirmation that the so-called "gold outline" to the hull number was nothing more than decal yellowing.
But the gold looks so COOL!

Seriously, that's a nice website. Nice to have some good info vs. speculation on some aspects of the ST models.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Great site! I was particularly surprised to learn of the origins of the K-7 Space Station. A collapsible space station? Looks more like inflatable!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Looks like taking the images of the inflatable space station one maybe able to create the K-7 as it was on TOS!

·
Registered
867 Posts
heiki said:
Looks like taking the images of the inflatable space station one maybe able to create the K-7 as it was on TOS!
Very true. And if you look at the other component which became the larger main section you'll notice that the module at the back is not a drum shaped construction like the DS9 version, but something much more like the old AMT kit.

An image of this is available over on Phil Broad's Modeler's Reference Vault. It's the only detail AMT got right.

Mark

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
John P said:
I must have missed something. If it's decal yellowing, how come the dot after the U in U.S.S. doesn't have yellowing in either forward or reverse decals yet all the other letters and periods do?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Mark: what do you make of the title block image on page4? It indicates scale. It must say 3" = 1' - 0" (for the four-times-model) but the thing after the 3 doesn't really look like ".

·
Registered
867 Posts
uss_columbia said:
I must have missed something. If it's decal yellowing, how come the dot after the U in U.S.S. doesn't have yellowing in either forward or reverse decals yet all the other letters and periods do?
That is odd. However, if you look closely, it is also a darker shade of black than the other letters. It looks like it may have been printed incorrectly, with that period being printed directly on the paper backing, rather than on a spot of decal film. The other black letters have been lightened by the yellowing of the material. Perhaps this is why this particular decal was never used. Anyone have another guess?

Mark: what do you make of the title block image on page4? It indicates scale. It must say 3" = 1' - 0" (for the four-times-model) but the thing after the 3 doesn't really look like ".
I think it looks just the same as the " mark after the 0. What I'm more interested in is the date on the drawing: "11-7-64". Now we know precisely when MJ completed the construction drawing.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts