Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I generally produce custom police cars. It does get old, and ocasionally I like to try different things, and new techniques. This is the start of a White Rose 49 Ford police car custom. I have stripped it of its paint, and sandblasted the body. I filled in the spotlight, antenna, roof light, siren and wiper holes with Evergreen plastic rod. I also filled in the recessed area where the hood ornament went, as well as ground off the hood trim. I also ground off the trunk ornaments, and filled in the license plate holes. I have also radiused the rear wheel wells now, and have cut a hole in the hood. I wanted to show this here, rather than in the custom area where it will be lost in a day, and also to help keep this board alive. I am slowly switching over to 1/43 scale for a lot of my builds. My decal company was founded by making 1/43 scale police decals, then I branched out in to 1/64 scale fire. I hope you enjoy the start of this little project. Let me know if you have any questions. Rich

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple shots of the wheel well radius, and the hole cut in the hood. In this shot I have some Bondo scratch filler on over the holes, and its been sanded down. Ready for primer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a coat of paint on it, and started to decal it a bit. It wont have many decals on it. There is a lack of racing related decals available, so I will have to make my own, at least for numbers and such. I have also started working on the chassis. Right now I am combing the OLD's and auction sites, looking for that perfect American V8 I can use as a donor. Most of the motor wont show, but I do need a pretty decent bottom end. I am also starting the top end, and machining the velocity stacks for an older Hilborn injection system. Having a lot of fun with this one. I will get a few more photos up today. Thanks for the comments so far.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a photo of the car painted, and a few decals on it. The decals gives it away, as to the subject matter. The decals were all off of one of my 1:64 scale fire sheets. The purple paint is Ace Hardware brand purple enamel. I like the way it went on, and the color after it dried. The second photo is the raw stock I am using for the velocity stacks, and the manifold. The square will become the manifold after I square it up and mill down some thickness. The round aluminum rod is what I am using for the stacks. The stacks took a few hours to do. I use a Sherline digital lathe, so I can record all of the settings and make 8 identical parts. Next up is to get the stacks in to some sort of block to represent the manifold.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
It's coming along nicely, and I like the use of machined metal parts.

It looks to be shaping up into a kind of Hot Wheels Shoe Box sort of ride.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the Hilborn injection system done. Most of it wont show, so it will stay on the aluminum block that I milled out for it. I started working on the chassis. Because gassers were sky high in the front end, I needed to raise the front axle. I used a piece of tubing from a cheap dollar store Q-Tip, and J B Welded it to the outside of the chassis above where the stock axle goes. I checked the alignment along the way with the body. Once I got the correct location, I let it dry overnight, and started on the rear axle. I wanted it lower, so I used the same method, gluing the tubing below where the stock axle would go. I did have to move the rear axle back, due to the new radius of the wheel wells. The stock cars do not have inner fenderwells. This particular car needed them because of the front being raised. Its basically .040 styrene glued to the top of the chassis, along the lines of the inner frame rails. They were glued in with J B Weld also. Then I glued a "shelf" in between the new fenderwells for the manifold and Hilborn system to sit on. I got a new Eelco fuel tank turned on my lathe today, and started working on cutting the bumper off of the grille assembly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting close to finishing up this one. I got the chassis painted and test fit. I finished up the Hilborn system and got it mounted. These two shots show the fuel tank mounted, the chassis installed for test fitting, and the wheels and tires. The front wheels are from one of the Eagles race Willy's coupe models. An expensive car when you can find them, but I am doing one up that I didnt need this particular wheel. The tires are from Diecast Direct, one of the tires in thier 1:43 scale tire assortments. The rear wheels and tires are from one of the Corgi front engine dragsters. I will either drill out the rear slots or paint them black to bring some more detail to them. The chrome on the front wheels is not very good, so I may paint those aluminum as well. I started on a simple roll cage for the interior, as you wont see much of it. Maybe a seat belt across the front seat too. The NHRA rules for the late 60's said it had to have the full interior, so I wont make any changes. I got the headlights in, and the rear bumper on, and got the front grille mounted. The grille is a soft plastic and does not sand well, so this is the best it will get, unless I machine a new one. I dont think I want to take that sort of time. This has been a lot of fun, and I want to keep it fun, not so much of a chore. I hope to finish it up this week.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got sidetracked and didnt get to spend a lot of time on this. I got it finished up today. I ended up stripping the chrome off of the wheels and spraying them flat aluminum, with some silver accents for the lug nuts. The interior is pretty sparse. The decals are from various sheets. The Hooker and Crane are from a Slixx sheet. The Ford oval is from an old Nascar sheet. The Valley is from one of my fire sheets, and the pizza is from an old Nascar sheet as well. This was a lot of fun, and the first of many I am doing for a late 1960's drag scene diorama. Hope you guys enjoyed it. Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts