Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Revell Re-Issue of Aurora Frankenstein WIP

Since these have been re-issued, I have always wanted to make them better than the ho-hum versions that actually came in the box. Most of you saw what I did with the Dracula kit by repositioning arms and also adding replacement parts like a new head and base and the likes.
Well, I've decided to do the same with Frankenstein.
I opened the box and now I'm planning on just how I want to attack this kit to make him more like the boxart.

Initial observations:
His arms are way to high and will need to be repositioned lower.
His hands will need to be adjusted to be turned somewhat...
His head...well...enough said about that...a replacement head is already acquired ...
The base...well...that is another debacle....got a new one from Rick (NightOwl)

Should be fun....

The great thing about these re-issues is you can cut them up and do this type of thing and really, if you mess up, it doesn't cost a whole lot to experiment!

MMM

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Just out of curiosity - what color is the plastic on this newest release? I have an unpainted built-up of each Frankenstein version and would like to know if the plastic color is different from any other releases.
Steve

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This current Revell re-issue Frankenstein is in grey plastic.

It has a 1991 Revell Inc Copyright stamped on the bottom of the base.

MMM

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The current reissues come in light grey. Prior Revell and Monogram issues I have seen were in black. I forget what color the PL Longbox issue came in...

·
Curmudgeon
6,600 Posts
His head...well...enough said about that...
It's obvious that opinions vary (particularly among us modelers) and I may be in the minority here, but I don't know why so many modelers dislike the head that comes with the kit. Is it perfect? No. But compared to the rest of Aurora's "horror/monster" kits, IMO it's the best likeness of the character the kit represents--easily identifiable as Karloff in The Bride of Frankenstein. Just my 2¢; carry on.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think the original head is ok but it certainly does NOT look like the boxart....does it? It wasn't what I expected to get as a kid when I opened the box. I'm not going to throw the original out but for this version I'm going to do...I gotta replace it.
I've got a great replacement Bama boxart head from someone that I think will look great with this kit!

MMM

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The current reissues come in light grey. Prior Revell and Monogram issues I have seen were in black. I forget what color the PL Longbox issue came in...
PL version came in a cream color plastic with 1991 on the bottom but no mention of Revell Inc on the stamp...just UCS.

MMM

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
IMHO replacing the head opens up more cans of worms... since the body/clothing is also correct for Bride of Frankenstein. The head in the kit matches the costume. If you put, say, a Glen Strange head on it, then the coat and boots aren't right... Nor will a head from the first Karloff movie.

·
Registered
287 Posts
MMM:wave:

If the Dracula gives any indication as to what you have planned for Franky, it's going to be amazing I'm sure. I can hardly wait to see it. Have you thought about maybe a how-to thread so we could follow along with you like MCR did with the "Let's Build The WolfMan" thread?

A.U.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
MMM:wave:

If the Dracula gives any indication as to what you have planned for Franky, it's going to be amazing I'm sure. I can hardly wait to see it. Have you thought about maybe a how-to thread so we could follow along with you like MCR did with the "Let's Build The WolfMan" thread?
I've thought about a how-to-thread but a lot of what I'm doing, I've never done before so I don't want to post a how-to with pics and then have it be bad advice as everyone follows along. However, once I'm finished, I can explain how I got the results...it really isn't soo difficult to do so I can try to summarize for anyone interested.

MMM

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMHO replacing the head opens up more cans of worms... since the body/clothing is also correct for Bride of Frankenstein. The head in the kit matches the costume. If you put, say, a Glen Strange head on it, then the coat and boots aren't right... Nor will a head from the first Karloff movie.
But what if I'm using a Bama head like the one on the boxart?

I try not to split hairs on accuracy too much with styrene as it really hurts my desire to build something. If I have to worry about what coat he was wearing and how his boots look..I might as well sculpt a new kit myself! I just try to improve on an inexpensive kit and make it look better than the old kit on my shelf that it has to sit next to...especially if I can put the kit on a different base and give it a new look by positioning his limbs differrently and adding some extras to it.

MMM

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Beck,

That's what I love about them...if you want to modify them...and let's say you really mess up...it didn't cost a whole lot of cash to try it.
And if you pull it off...GREAT enjoyment from a non-expensive kit.

Ok...so I didn't drop the arms quite as much as you...I was really trying to line it up with the boxart from Aurora...

I cut/sanded smooth the locating grooves from the inside of the arm socket so I could spin the arm where I needed it to go using a Dremel tool with a sanding stone attached. I also cut the locater tabs on the hands and sanded the wrists smooth so I could turn and glue the hands into the correct positions.
As you can see from this pic (maybe not too much)...there are some seams and filler needed to fill the gaps around the shoulder/armpit area to make this look better. I'll add some putty around the armpit and shoulder areas and also around the wrists and then sculpt and sand to contour with the kit.

MMM

·
Curmudgeon
6,600 Posts
...I don't know why so many modelers dislike the head that comes with the kit.
I think the original head is ok but it certainly does NOT look like the boxart....does it? It wasn't what I expected to get as a kid when I opened the box.
Well, you got me there. But IMO no visual representation of Frankenstein's Monster even comes close when compared to Karloff in Jack Pierce's makeup (even in Son of Frankenstein when Karloff was well fed and looked anything but cadaverous) so I'm probably one of the few modelers who was happy the kit didn't look like the box art.

And thanks, btw. Quite honestly, this had never occurred to me. :eek:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts