Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Revell usually issues the "big four"... Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man and the Mummy. IF they issue a fifth, its usually "The Creature". You would think with the popularity of the Phantom via the stage play and musical movie the kit would be issued more. Although rights to the Phantom may be more difficult... sort of like the mess with the reissue of the Hunchback (Disney owned the name rights).

For a while the Phantom was sold by Cine Models as well in an Aurora long box. Cine did Dracula, the Phantom and The Forgotten Prisoner.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Revell did repop the phantom for the luminator series and again in a square photo box at the same time as one of the creature re releases ( right after the luminator series, maybe a year or two later?). They could be found on ebay I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I'd say if the first four are popular enough the rest are gonna follow. So far Monogram have reissued at various stages:
Dracula
Mummy
Wolfman
Frankenstein
Godzilla
King Kong
Phantom of the Opera
Forgotten Prisoner (Cinemodels)
Creature

They might all make a comeback soon- you never can tell.....

Chris.:)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Perhaps one of the good things about the slumping economy will be a return to basic family hobbies like model building. Kits and supplies can be expensive, but they're still a lot cheaper than a boat or a weeks vacation.

-Neil

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Sadly I see the economy hurting kits in several ways. I run a retail shop and have noticed this over the last year:

1) fewer people out shopping to buy anything, including kits

2) comanies folding up or restructuring (Revell, AMT, etc) means much smaller kit ranges

3) what kits are offered cost considerably more than a year ago... Revell cars jumped from $16 to $24

4) paints and glues jumped considerably in price. Tamiya spray paint went from $5 to $8 per can, and Poly Scale acryics are now $5 per jar. Model Master enamels are still under $4 but not by much... Plastic cement can be as high as $7 for the MM stuff, $5.50 for Tamiya or $2 for a small tube of Testors stuff.

5) even though its not a fair comparison, customers always say "$24 for the Mummy??? I remember when these were $2.50" (forty years ago). They pass up the current kits. Same with the nice Moebius figures. They are just priced too high for 1) what you get and 2) the current economic market. Yes I know how much large resin kits of the same subject cost, cost of vintage Aurora kits before the reissues etc... but that means nothing to the average walk in customer...

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would be happy to pay the $24.00 to my local Hobby store owner, but he treats me like crap, I wanted to order the Invisible Man, kit and he says, "didn't you see it over there?" I said "no", he said "because it's invisible!" (him and his friend laugh at me) I like figure kits, but I'm not going to feel silly buying them at a store, so I will buy on line from now on.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I would be happy to pay the $24.00 to my local Hobby store owner, but he treats me like crap, I wanted to order the Invisible Man, kit and he says, "didn't you see it over there?" I said "no", he said "because it's invisible!" (him and his friend laugh at me) I like figure kits, but I'm not going to feel silly buying them at a store, so I will buy on line from now on.
Yeah well screw 'em... I've had the same problem :mad: can't understand that we exist??? Well too bad when we hear about another business going under...I've got good money to spend on my passion, and do I'm better off buying on line :thumbsup:
Mcdee

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hear, Hear you got that right Mcdee !!!!!!!!!!! plus you would get a better deal anyway , same here a couple of weeks ago i was in my local hobby shop it's a older mom and pop shop now run by the people who worked there for years and took over after the old man retired , anyways to make a long story short i was telling one of the workers who i thought was a buddy of mine my story on how i snagged a rare prototype model kit and my buddy who was with me at the time saw his reaction when i was telling him my story and then i just stopped and we both walked out , he did not say wow cool or nothing like he did not give a damn but when he tells his stories of kits , trains and stuff we all have to listen , well they lost my business and i could care less if i go back , they are rude and they will go under soon too, i do my biz online and at hobbytown usa they offer more products , supplies and give you discount coupons for every $100.00 you spend , heck on my birthday they sent me a card and with a $10.00 Off to use for next purchase now isn't that nice !

Robert

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
I guess I've been lucky with my LHS...two of the young ladies that work there are really cool and I can even reminisce with them about building these kits when i was a wee lad and now I can do them up right. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Trek, I have an extra mask, from the luminator series, but painted. If you want it, I'll send it to you. Free or for $5,000 whichever you prefer. LOL..

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,034 Posts
I'm with deadie, in that my LHSes are run by pretty friendly people. One of them even manages to stock the latest Moebius and Polar Lights releases. I buy my paints and stuff from them, but I'm ashamed to admit that I buy most of my kits in the vendors' rooms at model shows.

deejay, to answer some of your economic points:
  • Dedicated hobby paints can be expensive (I'm almost exclusively a Testors enamels guy), but the basic spray colors a lot of us use can be had on the cheap by buying hardware store brands. Flat black is flat black, right?
  • In my neck of the woods, cement hasn't hit the $7.00 mark yet. On the other hand, that's another item I can get cheaper at from a model show vendor.
  • As for the price of kits, ya got me there. I do recall that in the sixties Aurora kits cost $0.98; I don't know what they should be when you factor in the rise in prices over the last four decades. But given the satisfaction that the hobby can bring to modelers of any age I would argue that they're still a good investment.
Mark McG.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts

deejay, to answer some of your economic points:
  • Dedicated hobby paints can be expensive (I'm almost exclusively a Testors enamels guy), but the basic spray colors a lot of us use can be had on the cheap by buying hardware store brands. Flat black is flat black, right?
  • In my neck of the woods, cement hasn't hit the $7.00 mark yet. On the other hand, that's another item I can get cheaper at from a model show vendor.
  • As for the price of kits, ya got me there. I do recall that in the sixties Aurora kits cost $0.98; I don't know what they should be when you factor in the rise in prices over the last four decades. But given the satisfaction that the hobby can bring to modelers of any age I would argue that they're still a good investment.
Mark McG.

I do find a difference in some paints myself... but I sell hobby paints so whatever else may/may not work is kind of moot.

Tube glue is $2.19 but the Model Master black needle tip bottle is $6-$7 now

Yeah I know that when stuff cost $ .98 the standard and cost of living was lower... people never take that into account. I hear geezers saying every day "I remeber back in the day when this cost $.05"... they forget that they got $. 50 a week unloading ships at the dock... Probably the last time they bought hobby stuff was the week before Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.

In the mid 1980s a model car hit $10. I was working at the time for minimum wage, which was $3.35 an hour back then. So it took approx 3 hours work to buy a $10 model car. Now Min wage in $7ish, and a model car is about $22... so you still have to work 3 hours... Its not like the model car is $22 but you still make $3.35.

And what has NOT gone up in price (well aside from electronics)...

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,034 Posts
... And what has NOT gone up in price (well aside from electronics)...
Have ya priced a plasma screen TV lately? :freak: But you're right, everything's gotten more expensive. My point is that the hobby industry has done a better job of keeping in step with inflation than, say, the health care industry.

:eek: Oooh! Did I ever open a can of worms! Now I hafta think up a diversion, fast. ...Got it:

Hey guys, I heard some hogwash the other day about how the original starship Enterprise filming miniature was painted gray, not white, the way it looked on TV. Have you ever heard such nonsense?

Mark McGee, that was close...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts