Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I was browsing today and saw the most recent issue of FineScale Modeler magazine and I checked it out. They always give a listing of whats coming out as far as kits are concerned. I saw a picture of the Revell/Germany Original Enterprise box and Finescale modeler said they will be doing an in depth review of it soon. They also made mention of the Revell Klingon Ship. They also said to check with your local hobby dealer for availabilty. It looks like they may be coming here and I guess Revell worked it out where these kits can be sold in the U.S. I remember at the time Ertl was producing Star Trek kits Revell was doing the Voyager models. Did I read and understand it right that these kits will be sold here. I also wonder with the Star Trek Sequel coming out next year if Revell/Germany has secured rights to the next film. Guy Schlicter.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think the kits will be coming to the US through "normal" distribution channels. I assume that's why it says "check with your local hobby dealer for availabilty" instead of "Available through (Dragon USA, Stevens International, etc.)".

It would be nice if I were wrong, though.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Your local hobby dealer gets then from Stevens (who does not sell to individuals anyway). Telling customers to check with a wholesaler would be useless.

as an aside on the Stevens web site they list some MPC Star Trek flying rocket kits

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Your local hobby dealer gets then from Stevens (who does not sell to individuals anyway). Telling customers to check with a wholesaler would be useless.

as an aside on the Stevens web site they list some MPC Star Trek flying rocket kits
My local hobby dealer is AAA Hobbies in Magnolia NJ. They are Stevens International. Maybe Ill luck out.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If this is true that these kits are coming to hobby shops here than I am very pleased about it. They are excellent models and I can't help but think this is a prelude to something else. Now that Revell/Germany has the license I believe they have the Star Trek license to the current feature films as well. And with the sequel to the 2009 Star Trek film in the works. My feeling is Revell will be preparing products from it. Its too big opportunity to pass by to make money for Paramount and Revell.

·
Starship Class
12,152 Posts
If this is true that these kits are coming to hobby shops here than I am very pleased about it. They are excellent models and I can't help but think this is a prelude to something else. Now that Revell/Germany has the license I believe they have the Star Trek license to the current feature films as well. And with the sequel to the 2009 Star Trek film in the works. My feeling is Revell will be preparing products from it. Its too big opportunity to pass by to make money for Paramount and Revell.
I picked up that copy of FSM this evening and noticed the ad myself. I hope a deal has been worked out. They look to be good kits.

·
Starship Class
12,152 Posts
I especially like the Klingon ship. I have three of those kits, and two of the Enterprise.
I'd like to get one or two of each myself. I know they don't match up exactly with anything (though a good argument could be made that the Klingon ship is a match with the Greg Jein version from "Trials and Tribble-ations") but they seem to be quality models, a great size, and details that are interesting if not exactly accurate and do enhance the model.

BTW: Is the Klingon bigger than the old AMT version?

BTW 2: I'm glad they've re-re-released the AMT Klingon model kit. Talk about accurate! Especially with the additions, it doesn't get any better than that!

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Both Revell kits are slightly larger than their AMT counterparts.

Between the two, the Klingon ship is definitely my favorite. Beautiful detail, and it falls right into the 'sweet spot' between the series' D7 and the TMP ship. So, for anyone wanting to model that resembles a Phase II or DS9 "Tibbleations" -based version, this Revell one is the ticket.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The Federation Models site says the kits are based on the CG models for the Remastered series; while that doesn't necessarily hold water for the Enterprise, the size of the windows and the inaccurate shape of the bottom rear of the "engineering" hull on the Klingon ship does seem in line with the way that ship looks in the Remastered effects.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I was wondering about that shape. Curious also as to why AMT's D7 has its rectangular windows with such rounded edges, rather than squared off?

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
The Federation Models site says the kits are based on the CG models for the Remastered series; while that doesn't necessarily hold water for the Enterprise, the size of the windows and the inaccurate shape of the bottom rear of the "engineering" hull on the Klingon ship does seem in line with the way that ship looks in the Remastered effects.
I know what you mean about the Klingon ship. That rear edge is at a much more severe than on the studio model or AMT kit. The bottom contour is about the same, only there is a sharp dividing line instead of a fillet to blend the bottom contour into the "wings". I plan on puttying and resculpting the seam to blend them together again. I will probably just leave the angle of the trailing edge alone and unaltered.

I still love it, though. The D7 (and it's further incarnations) has always been my favorite Klingon ship design. One we've seen precious little of on screen throughout the years. This kit is a nice addition as yet another take on the original design.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You are, indeed, correct to be wary of the statement that the RG kit was based on the Enterprise seen in the Remastered series. Please let me state for the record that the RG Enterprise is NOT - repeat, NOT - based on the Remastered Enterprise. The Remastered ship was derived from Petri Blomqvist's Lightwave file, which is the same design as my 2D plans, and the RG kit bears only a superficial resemblance to the Remastered Enterprise.

Gary

1 - 20 of 25 Posts