Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a newsletter from Revell today . They apparantly are doing the BSG kits. The pics on their site look just like the Moebius kits. Did you guys sell them the licence?

·
Oxidation Genius
31,283 Posts
Can't be. Must be the old Monogram kits repopped again.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Frank et al. don't come on the boards here anymore so they won't directly answer your question.

The guestimates making the rounds are that Moebius either leased them their molds or is private labeling the kits for Revell. I haven't heard anything directly from Moebius on this one way or the other.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
There is nothing odd about model companies shareing molds, happens all the time. Example, Testors-Italeri, Revell-Monogram, Hawk-Testors, Aoshima-AMT, etc.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
There is nothing odd about model companies shareing molds, happens all the time. Example, Testors-Italeri, Revell-Monogram, Hawk-Testors, Aoshima-AMT, etc.
Revell-Monogram merged many years ago so no surprise there, on the other hand Testors-Italeri I don't think they have shared any molds for sveral years now, atleast non I've seen any way. what molds have the others shared??? I ask because of this thing called curiousity.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Many 1/35 military kits were shared by Testors - Italeri as well as some aircraft, as I have several editions in both Italeri boxes and Testors boxes. Reboxed kits are common in different markets. Especially Europe and the Orient. Hawk-Testors reboxed their Airship and large scale diecast auto engine kits. AMT-Aoshima reboxed Back to the Future 1/24th scale car kits.
There are many others too numerous to mention. With a Moebius - Revell DE
partnership,perhaps we might see Revell DE Star Trek domestic releases....

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Perhaps there was a licensing swap between Moebius Models and Revell. Revell Germany would be able to release the Nu BSG kits to their market, while allowing Moebius the license to create and release new TOS Galactica kits to the domestic (US) market.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Testors was the US importer for Italeri in the 80s and 90s. Originally they reboxed particualr kits in yellow Testors boxes, but later on they brought in the entire range in the original Italeri boxes, adding just a small sticker saying "imported by Testors"

Monogram absorbed Revell so its not so much they shared molds but one company took over the other. The Revell name was chosen to be used (for a while it was Revell-Monogram) as it was felt to have more recognition world-wide.

Currently Tamiya sells Itaelri kits in Japan for the home market, in Tamiya boxes. In Europe, Revell Germany reboxes Hasegawa kits for distribution there.

It's a common (and good) way for kits to be marketed in different areas. Escpecially for smaller companies who may not have any real brand recognition or if a company wants to push particular kits. Big rig trucks are quite popular in Europe, so I can see Revell and Moebius working out a deal for the semi kits.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Monogram absorbed Revell so its not so much they shared molds but one company took over the other. The Revell name was chosen to be used (for a while it was Revell-Monogram) as it was felt to have more recognition world-wide.
That's funny, because I still see the Monogram label on model kits and I'm not just talking about kits that have been sitting on shelves for years.

For the moderators, why are there 4 or 5 threads going on the same subject??? Isn't there a rule regarding X number of threads on the same subject????

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
That's funny, because I still see the Monogram label on model kits and I'm not just talking about kits that have been sitting on shelves for years.

For the moderators, why are there 4 or 5 threads going on the same subject??? Isn't there a rule regarding X number of threads on the same subject????
Revell AG of Germany,is not part of Revell-Monogram USA.They are two separate companies.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Revell AG of Germany,is not part of Revell-Monogram USA.They are two separate companies.
THey are both now owned by Hobbico. Hobbico bought Revell Germany a couple months back.

Revell choses to reissue some old Monogram kits under the Monogram name for old times sake. But most Monogram kits, like the old B-17G in 1/48, are now "Revell" kits.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
I just had the impression that Moebius, when they started, wanted to be the "independent" model company. Ya know, not like the bigger Revell, Monogram, etc., etc. They wanted to cater to what modelers were interested in building and not going "mainstream".

It just seems a turnaround for this move. No, I am not slamming Moebius for the move. I have no problem with them expanding their market by "joining forces" with one of the big name companies. It is just a strange turn of events for what I have seen and heard, and expected from the company I came to love and respect for their independent, and modeler based ideas and offerings.

We'll have to see where this turn of events leads us, and how much input Revell may try put into kits or designs Moebius plans in the future.

Sincerely,
Scorp. :wave:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I just had the impression that Moebius, when they started, wanted to be the "independent" model company. Ya know, not like the bigger Revell, Monogram, etc., etc. They wanted to cater to what modelers were interested in building and not going "mainstream".

It just seems a turnaround for this move. No, I am not slamming Moebius for the move. I have no problem with them expanding their market by "joining forces" with one of the big name companies. It is just a strange turn of events for what I have seen and heard, and expected from the company I came to love and respect for their independent, and modeler based ideas and offerings.

We'll have to see where this turn of events leads us, and how much input Revell may try put into kits or designs Moebius plans in the future.

Sincerely,
Scorp. :wave:
Moebius is in the business to make as much money as it can so Frank can bring the fans the kits they want. He is living the American Dream and I am proud to call him a friend! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
As I said RSN, not knocking Moebius. I just wanna see where, and how this goes. I still support Moebius...without a doubt. ( How can ya not support someone who brought you those great Irwin Allen kits? )

YAY! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts