Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually don't like to build Navy planes 'cause, well, they're all blue. Not much chance for variety. But the I always liked the Ventura, and Revell's kit had that cool octopus decal, so what the heck.

And of course I screwed up the octopus decal royally :lol:, so I built the plane as it probably looked before they painted the octopus on. :eek:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Thats really sharp. I hear its a nice kit with just some minor issues (wrong props based on a Museum plane and bogus cockpit bulkhead to hide the lack of fuselage interior). I like your non-octopus version actually. Now if they would do a Hudson !

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah - I tried some funky weathering to make it looked like a sunbleached salt-air seaplane, which was just reallysimply doing a wash of white watercolors all over the top, and gray watercolor all over the bottom. Seems to have worked!

·
Registered
300 Posts
What's your paint chipping technique? Do you use any of the salt/hairspray ideas or do you paint the chipping on top of the basic paint job? Looks perfect.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beleive it or not, for this model, I used a silver Prismacolor pencil after the main colors were on. In some places I carefully "drew" the chips on, in some places (like leading edges) I just randomly whacked the side of the lead against the model.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I use the Prismacolor pencils too... they work great. You can also use them to depict scuffs and scratches. Like on a dark blue plane do some light wear using a lighter grey color or even a yellow that looks like zinc chromate.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Beleive it or not, for this model, I used a silver Prismacolor pencil after the main colors were on. In some places I carefully "drew" the chips on, in some places (like leading edges) I just randomly whacked the side of the lead against the model.
Wow, I googled Prismacolor pencil, and there are many "models" of them.

Do you know which ones you use and or recommend for "whacking"? LOL

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, I googled Prismacolor pencil, and there are many "models" of them.

Do you know which ones you use and or recommend for "whacking"? LOL
Um. The ones I've had in a box for about 30 years! :eek:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I buy mine at Michael's. Hobby Lobby probably sells them. The ones I have aren't any particular fancy kind, just plain colored pencils that are sold off a rack. Get the metallic silver one...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts