Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I hauled out a kit I've had set aside for awhile: the Revell issue (or reissue?) of the Batman kit from the '60s. I recall my older brother having this kit way back in the late '60s though I'll be damned if I can remember what happened to it.

Anyway I picked this up some years ago and now I'm finally cracking it open.

I've already got my colour scheme planned: I want a satin like black finish for the cape and cowl, trunks, gloves and boots and a medium to dark grey for the rest. I think I want to build the ears up just a bit more and I want pouches for his utility belt. I'm also toying with an idea of making a different base, something of a mini diorama where Bats is hanging from a flagpole or something sticking out from a wall. Or something like that, but not sure yet.

One thing I'm not crazy about is the cape the comes with the kit. I'd like to replace it with something better and not as heavy looking. I'm not sure what materiel I could use that I could shape and have it look like it's flowing and spread behind him.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Revell popped out Batman, Robin and Superman for Toys R Us waaaaay back. Something like 1998 or so. Still, they are pretty common still now. I saw a bunch at the Nats in Orlando this last weekend. Some places price gouge on them, but for the most part they seem to go for $10 - $15 if you shop around. Fun kits to build.

I painted mine up somewhat like the TV show costume although the kit represents more of a 60s comic outfit

I built Batman and Robin a couple years ago and had them in storage until last month

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Well, in fairness the physique looks more natural than the hyper exaggerated physiques we've been getting in the comics for decades now.

I do wish the kit looked more like the box art, but it is what it is. Besides it's just meant to be a fun little build.

·
Curmudgeon
6,612 Posts
Well, in fairness the physique looks more natural than the hyper exaggerated physiques we've been getting in the comics for decades now.
The original sculpt was clearly based on Batman's physique in the comic books in the early 60s--a guy who was big, but not fat or overly muscular. What's surprising to me is how natural the aftermarket "Adam West Batman" resin heads look on this kit, considering West's physique was rather slender and not particularly athletic.

Speaking of which, if this kit was ever to get reissued I wish they'd restore the original head sculpt. It wasn't perfect, but in my opinion it was far better than the revised version.

I think the cape has always been the "worst" part of this kit; it's too thick and heavy. I recall seeing one build-up online where the modeler used one of those plastic "For Sale" signs to replace the original cape, and heated it using either hot water or a blow dryer (I can't remember) to soften and shape it. Not a bad solution; I would imagine you could do the same thing with a thin sheet of styrene.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Myself I prefer the head in the revised kit... But, I think you can buy resin versions of the original too. I always thought the old one looked like a boned fish. Even when the kit came out and was reviewed in Scale Modeler (not Fine Scale Modeler) they commented on the weak, soft, facial features. SM also had a cool conversion of Superman into Hawk Man. It's cool to see that people were doing that kind of work 45 years ago.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think the cape has always been the "worst" part of this kit; it's too thick and heavy. I recall seeing one build-up online where the modeler used one of those plastic "For Sale" signs to replace the original cape, and heated it using either hot water or a blow dryer (I can't remember) to soften and shape it. Not a bad solution; I would imagine you could do the same thing with a thin sheet of styrene.
Yeah, I think I've seen that around online. That might be a possibility to look into.

I also didn't know the was a different head piece originally.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
The original Aurora Batman head sculpt was absolutely horrid in my opinion. A "boned fish" is an apt description. The Batman and Superman heads used in the 1999 Revell re-issues are originally from the 1984 MPC re-issues of the Aurora kits. Those head sculpts were based on Kenner Toys "Super Powers" action figure line at the time. The up-scaled SP Batman head is an improvement IMHO. The up-scaled SP Superman head, on the other hand, is vastly inferior to the original.*

*The 1999 Revell Robin re-issue used the 1974 Aurora Comic Scenes head sculpt.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I agree with your idea of making a different base. I never understood the base being that of a wooded area whereas Batman is a primarily urban dweller.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I agree with your idea of making a different base. I never understood the base being that of a wooded area whereas Batman is a primarily urban dweller.
Well in the comics I do recall see him in wooded areas. In fact one of the ones I remember from back in the early '70s had a cover with Batman pinned to a tree with a stake through his chest. Of course the reveal was it wasn't Batman, but some innocent guy in from a costume ball or something.

I've got a general idea for a different base, but I haven't worked out all the details yet.

The current head reminds me a bit of the TAS Batman. But the cape is awful. It looks like he has no neck. The Bat symbol I'll have to paint on since I've never cared for the yellow oval.

I presently have two Batman figures. One is an Alex Ross figure with movable limbs. The other is a Golden Age style statuette.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Well in the comics I do recall see him in wooded areas. In fact one of the ones I remember from back in the early '70s had a cover with Batman pinned to a tree with a stake through his chest. Of course the reveal was it wasn't Batman, but some innocent guy in from a costume ball or something.

I've got a general idea for a different base, but I haven't worked out all the details yet.

The current head reminds me a bit of the TAS Batman. But the cape is awful. It looks like he has no neck. The Bat symbol I'll have to paint on since I've never cared for the yellow oval.

I presently have two Batman figures. One is an Alex Ross figure with movable limbs. The other is a Golden Age style statuette.
That was Batman 257. I had the Big DC book about it. DC Treasury number 2 Loved that issue.

·
Curmudgeon
6,612 Posts
Myself I prefer the head in the revised kit... But, I think you can buy resin versions of the original too. I always thought the old one looked like a boned fish. Even when the kit came out and was reviewed in Scale Modeler (not Fine Scale Modeler) they commented on the weak, soft, facial features.
I'm aware there was a resin replica of the kit's original head available, but I think it's been out of production for a number of years now.

I think what I prefer about the original head is the overall shape of the cowl; the eyes and the exposed part of the face leave a lot to be desired. The revised head is too short and wide for my tastes, and gives the impression that Batman has no neck. Maybe it's time for an entirely new head sculpt?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Regarding this kit, a buddy of mine is looking for the owl (that was in the original kit) does anyone know of a recast or other source for this? These kits were a lot of fun in their day and hold up nicely.

Tib

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Cult used to have a tree replacement (it used to say Batman, an owl and the original head) I think. If you arent fussy isnt there an owl in the Ghost of Castlemare kit you could use?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I always thought the sculpt was a representation of the 1950's, early 60s Batman, especially Bob Kane-inspired art. Kind of stiff and iconic. It doesn't hold a candle to the dynamic poses we are used to now, but I like it.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Unless you buy the Adam West head (actually well done), and modify the belt, costume, etc. it doesn't represent the TV costume. The kit pre-dates the TV show

·
Registered
480 Posts
Cult used to have a tree replacement (it used to say Batman, an owl and the original head) I think. If you arent fussy isnt there an owl in the Ghost of Castlemare kit you could use?

I'll take a look, thanks! As for fussy, he probably is. I didn't even have the original kit so didn't miss it.

Thanks again,

Tib

·
Registered
19 Posts
With the recent announcement of Warner Bros. getting the rights to the tv casts' likenesses for merchandising, will we see kits based on Adam West, Burt Ward, etc.?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Unless you buy the Adam West head (actually well done), and modify the belt, costume, etc. it doesn't represent the TV costume. The kit pre-dates the TV show
Yep, and there are some really, and I mean really, nice custom models out there.

Here's mine, and I did a half-a$$ job.

Regards,

gd

1 - 20 of 32 Posts