Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if that's Bama's original heavily painted over or just a copy. And don't I remember vinyl boy's wallets from the 1960s that featured Bama's Aurora monster art?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Zorro said:
Interesting. I wonder if that's Bama's original heavily painted over or just a copy. And don't I remember vinyl boy's wallets from the 1960s that featured Bama's Aurora monster art?
The wallets ( and giant pin-back buttons ) were available through the pages of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine back in the day. I don't think they were the actual Bama illos but, they were heavily influenced by him - as were the Jaymar Monster jigsaw puzzles.

- GJS

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i also remember the cover of the album "famous monsters speak" used either bama's works or copies of them. im wondering if that was the doing of the manufacturers of the buttons, wallets, etc. or universals?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
that's a good likeness to Lugosi . the mummy and creature are almost directly taken from the Aurora BTs .
hb

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Not to Cut Geejay off but I own that record as well, IIRC The Album Starts with a German Accented Voice (Maybe Swiss) Anyhoo This guy Explains how Dr. Frankenstein Had actually Kept Tapes of the Entire "Monster Building" Experince,Then We get to here the Voice of the Monster and other Sound effects.The Other side has a Similar "Radio Show" Type Adventure with a Guy Portraying Drac. Funny though They show him on the Cover I really Don't recall the Creature Of the Black Lagoon having a Story on EITHER Side of this Record! Hmmm it has been awhile. Now if only I could find my "Eveil Kenivel" Interview Album,There was a Poem on it I'd love to hear Evil Read again lol
JOHN/LONFAN

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Isn't there a web site that either let's you download the soundtracks from this record? I listened to it once, but can't remember where I found it. Anyone know the site? :confused:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I got the same thing on cd(also have the record).Mine says Sounds of Famous Monsters on back and 1999 made in Japan.But it's the same thing.Took a pic of it and was gonna post it but it told me file to large.How do I get it down to a thumb file to show it?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
There were just the two stories - the "taped" account of the creation of the Frankenstein monster, and a "dictated" type of account about a writer encountering Dracula. They're both pretty well written and produced.

I know Ray Ferry was offering this on cd through the new Famous Monsters magazine. I just checked and it's still available on the website.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Dave,
I'll just add that the voice characterizations for both the Frankenstein Monster and Count Dracula were performed by Gabriel Dell ( who was one of the original 'Dead End' kids - later known as 'the East Side kids' and ultimately as 'The Bowery Boys' ). Gabe does fantastic impressions of Karloff's monster and Lugosi's Dracula! That made this recording all the more 'authentic' to me as a kid - and all the more collectible as an adult.

- GJS

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Heres a pic:

Gabriel Dell is on the far right sitting next to Huntz Hall.
Others in the pic, seated left to right, are: Bobby Jordan, Billy Halop, and Leo Gorcey.

- GJS

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I had "Famous Monsters Speak" when I was a kid but I remember the cover art better than what was on the record. The Dead End Kids. Now, dem' guys was funny! Wouldn't mind a kit of Leo Gorcey and the gang hanging out with Jimmy Cagney and Pat O'Brian in a scene from "Angels With Dirty Faces". "Waddayaknowwaddayasay?"

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I'm with you Scott! I'd buy Dead End Kids kits, too!

Harry, I don't know what you're trying to share with us...? The link wants me to 'sign in'.

- GJS

Incidentally, you can order a CD of "Famous Monsters Speak" here:

http://www.drive-inmovie.com/famousmonsters.html

Funny, though, how they describe the recording as being from 1974...
their particular pressing, perhaps, but my own record was from the mid 60's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts