Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone shed any light onto what tools JL has OFFICIALLY retired. I think the only one I remember for sure was the old ZR-1. For instance, now that we have a new tool for the 69 Camaro (thank GOD), I hope we will never see that older casting again...including the 4x4 version.

We were told at one time that the old Muscle Cars R2 Firebird mold broke and was retired as well, but that started showing up again and again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Retired?

Or sold to another diecast manufactuer - this I would rather see.

Perhaps one that would utilize these same castings and sell them much cheaper (minus the fluff/expensive packaging). A new Wal*Mart brand...

I have always been a big fan of knock-off "off brand" castings.

Maybe these will wind up in some other country even - they might be the next Muky or Yatming cars.

;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
94SS said:
Anyone shed any light onto what tools JL has OFFICIALLY retired. I think the only one I remember for sure was the old ZR-1. For instance, now that we have a new tool for the 69 Camaro (thank GOD), I hope we will never see that older casting again...including the 4x4 version.

We were told at one time that the old Muscle Cars R2 Firebird mold broke and was retired as well, but that started showing up again and again.

Thanks.
That 69 Firebird is one ugly casting:eek:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Lets not go and retire anything just yet. What if I wanted to make a Fest casting that could be used on the Rocket 500 set. Those old 4X4 castings (your term, not mine) would come in pretty handy now wouldn't they.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I for one have lots of ideas that others would bury if they had it their way.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Some weird, obsessed collector that was stupid enough to take all his cars out of the packages, take pictures of them, and then post them on the internet! What a flake! The guy must have no life at all!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
94SS said:
Anyone shed any light onto what tools JL has OFFICIALLY retired.
I know there are many that will not see the light of day again for a number of reasons, including the old VW Transporter, (probably) VW Thing, the James Bond DB5 Aston, and a number of early Musclecar tools. Most of these have been disallowed by licensors. Wyatt's side-by-side comparisons show why some castings JL did way back when are being redone now--the market demands more, the licensors demand more, and JL has gotten so much better at getting the details right.

Also, the tooling for the '90s stock cars (T-Bird, Monte Carlo, GP) was altered to avoid licensing fees ... then never used for anything ever again.

94SS said:
The truth is, TL hated that casting from day one. Called it the "Fatbird." Broken tooling excuse was a fib to explain pulling it from the lineup. He was most displeased when it showed up in the tins again a couple of years ago.

jk

R

·
0 Posts
Wyatt said:
Some weird, obsessed collector that was stupid enough to take all his cars out of the packages, take pictures of them, and then post them on the internet! What a flake! The guy must have no life at all!

Hmmm, O thought perhaps you might have a link to said sad souls site? ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Very nice Comparision Wyatt, but I like the old in most cases just as well as the new !! Nicely done ! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts