Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this in from a buddy of mine that wants me to restore his Aurora LIS Robot:).Now when you guys glue the Clear dome together and make it one piece what do you use?Any tips would ve great to here cause this is a first on this kit and its a Rare one:dude:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm sure what ever you do, that kit will be a real showpiece when it's completed.
I'm looking forward to seeing the final results. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys and hope it turns out really nice cause this is the first time that tackle the LIS robot and specially the Original one.:dude:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
doesn't look too awful bad to restore . what a rare gem to get to play with eh ?
i wish ya the best o luck with it and can't wait too see how he looks . :thumbsup:
hb

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,034 Posts
Wolfie,

I have a few suggestions. First, I would sand and polish out all the scratches, inside and out, on both pieces. After that, dipping them in Pledge Future Acrylic Floor Polish will make them as glassy-looking as possible. A little dab of Testors Clear Parts Cement will join them nicely.

Here's a little trick you can do to make the clear collar look more realistic: glue a little tube of black-painted styrene to the inside (I used a section cut from a black plastic Halloween witch's broomstick on my Ferrous Frankenstein). This will keep light from shining through the clear part. Bob May told me at a Fright Vision convention that he wore a black hood when wearing the Robot suit and that the collar was his means of seeing out (he'd blow cigar smoke through the collar whenever the Lead Lined Lump got "wounded").

Are you going to finish him in his First Season scheme or the more colorful Second/Third paint job?

Mark McG.

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,034 Posts
If any of the kit clear parts are damaged with glue you could probably sub them out with clean ones from a PL kit.
Naaah! Fine grit wet-or-dry sandpaper and plenty of elbow grease - that's how ya have fun with plastic parts! :mad:

Mark McG.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Dan I just built an original robot myself, simple , I do this all the time on car windshields, join the Dome parts using Tamiya clear let it set over night, been doing this for 15 years.Dries clear.

Randy

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Since its an original I woulldnt, even muck with the clear dome, I had notice that some of the polar lights clear parts are shape different.
I didnt even bother removing the seam, because the clear dome cannot be replaced, try to find an original dome.

Randy

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I've had this problem in the past and I've found the best solution is to drink a couple of glasses of Scotch before doing anything...the seams literally disappear :drunk:
Mcdee:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You know with the right tools and method, the seam work goes very smoothly, took me about a week 40 hours to remove all the seams, it cannot be rushed, or all flaws will show up in the final paint, especially metal like paints, like alclad.You think the seams are bad in this kit , try the robin lol, holy crack of dawn Batman.

Randy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts