Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Restoring a Grail Updated New Pics

I just won this kit a couple days ago fleabay on a buy now.I been wanting a Original Godzilla for sometime and like always they go way up there in price even for a built up.But not this one got it for $30.00 bucks and complete.Upon reciveing had intesions on restoring it to its glory days well for starters its been a easy restore job so far cause the glue that was used to put it together was elmers and it only took me two mintues to get into pieces :) .So heres the pics and this is before it went into the degreaser.So far 90% of the paint is off and should have pics of it tomorrow in its original pink build. :)

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Good luck Wolfie. Looks like an explosion in a toy factory right now, but you always end up with fantastic results. Thankfully it wasn't a glue bomb.
We'll be looking forward to the end product.
Dabbler

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dabbler,Lloyd,Thanks for commenting and also should have fresh pics of godzilla just before priming.I also in the process of restoring the 66 batman and also got a gladiator awaiting restoration :) .

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guyus heres a new pic of the 64 godzilla all stripped down to his pink form and also another grail of mine currently in the works the 66 batman. :)

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
You know, Wolfie - the only thing that distinguishes the original G from every other reissue is the color of the plastic. Here's a thought: if you must paint him, maybe do it with thin applications in the magenta range that would allow the underlying plastic to show through? Thanks for posting the Batman pics - I'd plumb forgotten what the original plastic looked like.

Make sure you post photos of the finished models.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Mark McGovern said:
Here's a thought: if you must paint him, maybe do it with thin applications in the magenta range that would allow the underlying plastic to show through?
A lavender Godzilla? Would that be Gayzilla?

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :tongue:

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
What a hard colour to mold a model in...pink! I would say to paint it all in the colours you want, but leave the inside of the base in the original pink so that when someone turns over the model, they can see that it's the original deal.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Nice score Dan, there is a difference in detail from the reissues, the detail is much crisper, teeth are also better, because the molds are wearing out.

Randy

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Madcap,Definitly going to leave under the base pink so it can be easly identified as a original.Randy your definitly right on that cause comparing to some pieces of the 72 glow godzilla thats laying around in my stash of parts the detailing on the body and the teeth look very different compared to my original.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MadCap Romanian said:
I'd use a grey primer to cover the pink so it won't bleed through. Try Tremclad Grey Primer.
I mostly use Krylon Primer Grey on my kits.But will see if some of the stores by me has this type of primer you mentioned.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Tremclad is an enamel based paint that doesn't affect the plastic. I found that Krylon really burns styrene.

The key to watch out for is if the ingredients use Toluine and Xylene. Those are "HOT" chemicals simular to Laquer.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Golly, MCR, I've never had a problem with Krylon. Maybe you applied it a little too wet? Spray cans are convenient but I don't know anyone who can claim perfect results 100% of the time with 'em (certainly not me). I doubt that the magenta color will show through if Wolfie doesn't want it to, as the dyes were incorporated into the original plastic and ought to be throughly concealed by his eagerly-anticipated paint job.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Dan, Have you considered just leaving the kit it's original color and just building a PL re release? The color is so unique, it would look great next to a built up kit? BTW, I've never had a problem with Krylon primer either.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rich never gave it much thought on that one building it up and leaving it as is in its original plastic.I did do a polarlights reissue about a year ago thats in my collection.Im really not to happy on the way it turned out though but at the time it look good the color thats on it.But will consider your opion on this grail kit :) .Mark your definily right on the Krylon never had a problem with it yet outta of the 192 kits that,I builtup using that type of primer. :) Rich heres a pic of the pl godzilla did over a year ago.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Dan, I think that would look outstanding next to a Magenta Plastic Godzilla. It really harkens back to the 60's, color and subject.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts